Side Effects of Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdlev

Reaction score
Well...my love of good beer (or you could say hatred of crappy lite beer/water) is catching up with me...

I work out on a pretty consistent basis, and have been brewing for about 3 months now. I'm 6'3" and up to 240 lbs...the heaviest I've ever been w/ about 20lbs coming in the last 3 months. My body fat % hasn't really gone up but a percent or two, but I think I need to make some changes to my favorite past time. To do that...I need to guesstimate the nutritional value of the average homebrew ale (which is predominantly what I make).

Sigh....I think gone are the days of enjoying 2-3 towering glass of homemade ale after a hard days work. Either that, or I need to become a huge fan of running (which I'm not - because it interferes with the beer drinking!).

Anyone know what the average homebrewed ale has calories/carbs wise? With the holidays coming up...I'm trying my best not to join the 250+ club:(

Anyone know what the average homebrewed ale has calories/carbs wise? With the holidays coming up...I'm trying my best not to join the 250+ club:(

If you use brewing software like beersmith, or even beercalculus it usually shows you the caloric content of your recipes.

I put a little black piece of tape on my screen over that section of the software when I am working.

I am interested about this also. I am currently at the 250 mark and I have been running 2.5 miles a day for the last 2 months and if this homebrew is going to make me pack on the pounds, I better run more! :D

BeerSmith will Estimate caloric content. The main issue is the high level of triglycerides the body creates from beer. Beer is not empty calories as soo many try to pidgeon hole it as but, what it does have is those things our bodies aren't exactly too efficient at metabolizing lest of course we are fasting.

Buy bigger pants and enjoy your beers!!! It works for me. As long as my bloodwork stays clean I can deal with the extra 40 pounds!!

I am interested about this also. I am currently at the 250 mark and I have been running 2.5 miles a day for the last 2 months and if this homebrew is going to make me pack on the pounds, I better run more! :D

I lift 2-3 times a week (20-30 min cardio on front end then about 10-12 sets)
Typically, I'll get out and run 1-3 times per week also and do about 3.5m...
AND I'M GETTING FAT?!?:mad:

I guess if God made beer that was healthy, we'd all be drunk 90% of the time :D

You have to keep in mind regular beer (home brew or not) has 300-500 calories per can/bottle (depending on type). So if you're drinking 2 or 3 big ones, that's an entire day's worth of calories your ingesting so there's no question you're going to need to start exercising to burn off those "extra meals" you're consuming in the form of beer.

The older you get, the slower your metabolism, and the more exercise you're going to need.

DY

My fiance doesn't mind me adding a few pounds, as long as I don't become obese. I hate packing on the pounds as well, but I am not motivated enough to begin working out.

Side effects? Hmmmmm getting fat, getting stoopid, hurting yourself (falling down etc.) fighting with friends and loved ones, spending money, waking up with ugly chicks oMG the list goes on and on.

Best side effect is the mostly great times and fun you have ;)

Side effects? Hmmmmm getting fat, getting stoopid, hurting yourself (falling down etc.) fighting with friends and loved ones, spending money, waking up with ugly chicks oMG the list goes on and on.

I've done all of these activities while sober. Just putting that out there.

I work out 5/6 days a week and struggle to keep my weight down with as much beer as I consume (5'10" 180lbs). But, I enjoy working out as much as I enjoy brewing and consuming beer. So, I can't complain. :tank:

I guess I should just kiss my uber cut, arnold in his conan days, physique good bye? lol. Well..cheers :D

I just started weight watchers and have had to cut out my 3 beers a night. Pretty much down to one 12oz. Does it suck? Hell yea. Although I'm down 6.6lbs in two weeks not even working out.

I use this chart to ball park it for calorie counting, it certainly takes some of the fun out of this hobby, but good beer can really sneak up on you.

http://www.beer100.com/beercalories.htm

Also check out this blog that gives a formula provided you know the variables.

http://www.bikebeerbbq.com/how-many-calories-are-in-the-beer-you-drink/
Calories/12oz Beer= [(6.9xABW)+4.0 x (RE-0.1)]xFGx3.55

But suffice it to say, that I normally drink 6-7% abv brews (roughly 200-15) calories per 12oz. and the occasional imperial at 9-10%abv (roughly 290-300) calories per serving. I'll give up sweets, but I will be d*mned If beer goes out the window.

Maybe I'll have one cheat night with my normally 3 beers, and mix a scotch in with the nightly 12 oz'r :D

See I don't drink every night I just drink once a week maybe every two weeks but when I do I believe the term is BINGE drinker ;)

So if I drink 24 beers in one night I should be ok :D

I just started weight watchers and have had to cut out my 3 beers a night. Pretty much down to one 12oz. Does it suck? Hell yea. Although I'm down 6.6lbs in two weeks not even working out.

I'm a marathon runner, so I consider beer intake part of my carb-intake regime. I still keep it reasonable averaging maybe 16 oz / day. I also cut out fast food / sweets / etc. and drink beer instead.

It's tough, especially as you get older. I noticed this summer that I was quite a bit chunkier than I was last year so I've been even more careful about what I eat.

I weigh 135 pounds, and drink beer everyday. I just really watch what I eat (NO junk food) and exercise.

Calories in > Calories used = Fat Ass.

This is the formula I use. For the longest time I was about 40lbs over my "ideal" weight, even after a year of running several miles a day and lifting. The arrival of my offspring killed my gym time but it motivated me to be a little more healthy. Watching what I eat helped me lose 30lbs in 1 year and they've stayed off for the most part (±3lbs). It's that last 10lbs that's the *****. Anyway, I don't "diet" and I still drink. I just don't eat fast food every day like I used to, if it's a fatty meal I'm having, I'll have one serving then wait before going for seconds. You'll be surprised how often you get full just waiting for a few minutes. I splurge every now and then, but not too often. I don't feel I'm cheating myself out of anything, that's for sure... I love to eat! If you're sighing of fullness and still eating, you're doing it wrong! anyway, that's my 2 cents. carry on...

Calories in > Calories used = Fat Ass.

This is the formula I use. For the longest time I was about 40lbs over my "ideal" weight, even after a year of running several miles a day and lifting. The arrival of my offspring killed my gym time but it motivated me to be a little more healthy. Watching what I eat helped me lose 30lbs in 1 year and they've stayed off for the most part (±3lbs). It's that last 10lbs that's the *****. Anyway, I don't "diet" and I still drink. I just don't eat fast food every day like I used to, if it's a fatty meal I'm having, I'll have one serving then wait before going for seconds. You'll be surprised how often you get full just waiting for a few minutes. I splurge every now and then, but not too often. I don't feel I'm cheating myself out of anything, that's for sure... I love to eat! If you're sighing of fullness and still eating, you're doing it wrong! anyway, that's my 2 cents. carry on...

+1

if you get your diet under control you'll win the battle, working out is secondary when it comes to shedding weight.

I don't drink like I used to. I was never a real hardcore drinker but in my college days I did drink quite a bit 3-4 days a week. Now I rarely go out, so drinking generally consists of having 2-3 beers on Friday, Saturday and Sunday evenings. I rarely drink during the week. I eat pretty healthy and work out five times a week. I have 2 cheat meals per week. I'm about 10 lbs. off of where I would like to be. I cycle between 5-10lbs. over ideal weight. The weight isn't beer-related, it's law school stress-related eating and drinking mixed with sitting on my ass studying all day.

I have terribly slow metabolism to begin with. One bad week of eating and drinking can add up to five extra pounds. When I was eating and drinking at my worst in college I was 60lbs. overweight. I changed eating and drinking habits and started working out. I lost it all and put on some muscle. I wish I could drink beer all the time, even if it was alcohol-free, without the added calories. I can't. I would rather be healthy and in reasonably good shape and drink less than be overweight and drink all the time.

135??? Plz tell me your a gal? Cuz if you are a guy weighing 135 and saying you are chunky my 300lb ass is gonna find you and smack ya J/K ;)

People who are really chunky can't abide skinny poeple saying they are fat :eek:

It's tough, especially as you get older. I noticed this summer that I was quite a bit chunkier than I was last year so I've been even more careful about what I eat.

I weigh 135 pounds, and drink beer everyday. I just really watch what I eat (NO junk food) and exercise.

135??? Plz tell me your a gal? Cuz if you are a guy weighing 135 and saying you are chunky my 300lb ass is gonna find you and smack ya J/K ;)

People who are really chunky can't abide skinny poeple saying they are fat :eek:

I am indeed a girl. :D

I wear a size 6, which apparently surprises people from this forum when they meet me in person.

Revvy, especially. He kept going on and on about how "tiny" I was. I finally asked him, "What???? Did you think I was a big masculine type because I hunt, fish, brew, and drive a truck?" He answered, "Well, yeah. Actually".

I am indeed a girl. :D

I wear a size 6, which apparently surprises people from this forum when they meet me in person.

Revvy, especially. He kept going on and on about how "tiny" I was. I finally asked him, "What???? Did you think I was a big masculine type because I hunt, fish, brew, and drive a truck?" He answered, "Well, yeah. Actually".

In my mind your closet is nothing but flannel and camouflage.

Anybody try to limit food carbs in lieu of beer carbs?

I just reached the 1 year point of this hobby. Last winter I was swimming 1 hour at least 3 days a week and 2 beers (12 oz) a night did not induce weight gain. In the spring I stopped swimming because of the longer days. I like gardening and working outside after work. Did very little if any formal exercise from Mar-Aug and went from 200-215 lb. I had to do something, both diet and workout, so started push-ups and pull-ups, curls, etc and changed the diet to mostly garden veggies, fruit and protein. Breakfast was now poached eggs and cantaloupe for example rather than and egg sandwich with cheese and all that good stuff. Cut all carbs other than beer down significantly. I've gained noticeable muscle mass over the last 3 months and my overall weight has decreased 5 lb. In the last 3 weeks I've started swimming after work 2-3 days a week depending if it's my friday off. This works well because on the workout days I only have time for 1 nice glass of beer afterwards. 1 less beer and a workout that burns at least 3 big beers I may have that following weekend. I guess it all comes to finding a nice balance.

I'm starting to make some of the best beer in the world right now (in my own little mind :) and want to continue to do this for a long, long time while not allowing it to get the best of me.

OP I could have made this exact same thread, I am 6'2" and up to 237 lbs, which is 20 lbs more than I was the last time I weighed myself

You're welcome :D And I think I'm right at about 235-237...I'm gonna head over to the gym in a bit for a good workout in a bit and to get the exact figure...

I don't think beer is the whole culprit for gaining weight. It's a contributor, as others have said, diet is important. Eating well and not overindulging in unhealthy foods goes a long way. I try not to eat any processed foods, but have my beer regularly. This works for me at least. 6'4 190 lbs.

Also, I did p90x for a little...man does that drop the pounds. If running isn't working for you, this will.

Just a tip to help manage the weight. Lift first, do cardio afterward. You burn more fat that way.

That got me wondering, so I did some research...surprisingly:

"If Your Goal is Burning Calories for Fat Loss
If your primary goal is to burn as many calories as you can in a single session, it's probably best to do cardio first and lift weights next. There isn't any magic behind this; it's simply easier for most people to burn more calories per exercise session when they do cardio first. However, almost any combination of burning more calories while eating fewer will result in fat loss.

Some people achieve significant weight loss exclusively though dietary changes; others do it simply through weight training. Weight lifting definitely burns calories; in fact, it often burns more calories per minute than performing endurance exercise. The problem is that most people fatigue quickly when lifting weights, and therefore cannot perform the exercise as long as they can walk, bike or use an elliptical machine. The end result is that the total calories burned per exercise session tends to be higher for those who do endurance exercise first, simply because the can exercise longer.

Ultimately, the best way to lose body fat is to combine endurance exercise and resistance exercise and, of course, to make dietary changes."

Looks like if I just cut my beer intake (CRAP!), and kept my routine, I'd drop weight pretty quickly (Just in time to plump back up for the holidays!)

To be honest...I had no idea that a single beer could have 300 calories (I thought it was around 100). It makes perfect sense why I've put on this weight...almost 1000 calories right before bed each night, is like eating a big mac value meal. Of course, I guess I could replace dinner with beer and be ok :D

In my mind your closet is nothing but flannel and camouflage.

Yeah, that's pretty close! :D

Actually, yes. I started cutting carbs in July. I still drink beer freely, but really eat much more protein and very little carbs except for some fruits and vegetables. I am definitely leaner than I was in July, and I'm back down to my "fighting weight". Excercise helps alot- I can burn off a few beers playing hockey a few times a week. I probably average 25-30 ounces of beer a night.

That got me wondering, so I did some research...surprisingly:

"If Your Goal is Burning Calories for Fat Loss
If your primary goal is to burn as many calories as you can in a single session, it's probably best to do cardio first and lift weights next. There isn't any magic behind this; it's simply easier for most people to burn more calories per exercise session when they do cardio first. However, almost any combination of burning more calories while eating fewer will result in fat loss.

Some people achieve significant weight loss exclusively though dietary changes; others do it simply through weight training. Weight lifting definitely burns calories; in fact, it often burns more calories per minute than performing endurance exercise. The problem is that most people fatigue quickly when lifting weights, and therefore cannot perform the exercise as long as they can walk, bike or use an elliptical machine. The end result is that the total calories burned per exercise session tends to be higher for those who do endurance exercise first, simply because the can exercise longer.

Ultimately, the best way to lose body fat is to combine endurance exercise and resistance exercise and, of course, to make dietary changes."

Looks like if I just cut my beer intake (CRAP!), and kept my routine, I'd drop weight pretty quickly (Just in time to plump back up for the holidays!)

To be honest...I had no idea that a single beer could have 300 calories (I thought it was around 100). It makes perfect sense why I've put on this weight...almost 1000 calories right before bed each night, is like eating a big mac value meal. Of course, I guess I could replace dinner with beer and be ok :D

Ah, I stand corrected. My apologies. I applied my particular situation to this. Sorry about that.

I've gained about 8 pounds in the last year, on purpose. I'm 42, 6' tall and 162 pounds. In my situation, I've found that lifting first and then doing cardio builds muscle better and allows me to burn calories more effectively without harming the weight gain.

Which, of course, is the opposite of what you're trying to do. Ignore me. :p

Oh, and my beer intake is typically 2 per day, maybe one or two more on the weekends.

I just reached the 1 year point of this hobby. Last winter I was swimming 1 hour at least 3 days a week and 2 beers (12 oz) a night did not induce weight gain. In the spring I stopped swimming because of the longer days. I like gardening and working outside after work. Did very little if any formal exercise from Mar-Aug and went from 200-215 lb. I had to do something, both diet and workout, so started push-ups and pull-ups, curls, etc and changed the diet to mostly garden veggies, fruit and protein. Breakfast was now poached eggs and cantaloupe for example rather than and egg sandwich with cheese and all that good stuff. Cut all carbs other than beer down significantly. I've gained noticeable muscle mass over the last 3 months and my overall weight has decreased 5 lb. In the last 3 weeks I've started swimming after work 2-3 days a week depending if it's my friday off. This works well because on the workout days I only have time for 1 nice glass of beer afterwards. 1 less beer and a workout that burns at least 3 big beers I may have that following weekend. I guess it all comes to finding a nice balance.

I'm starting to make some of the best beer in the world right now (in my own little mind :) and want to continue to do this for a long, long time while not allowing it to get the best of me.

You can drink as much as you want as long as you can burn as many calories as you consume (for weight maintenance). Eventually you would reach a point where the alcohol was slowing your metabolism enough that you would have to work out considerably more to overcome the slower metabolism. (There are separate concerns if you are trying to build muscle...)

The biggest problems with alcohol consumption when trying to lose weight is: it slows the metabolism so you burn fewer calories throughout the day, you are more likely to consume food during/after drinking, liquids are quickly absorbed so you don't feel full the same as you do from eating (unless you are also eating) and it is carb-laden so you also have to factor in those carbs to your intake levels.

So no, it isn't impossible to drink beer and lose weight but it does make it more difficult.

Yeah, that's pretty close! :D

Actually, yes. I started cutting carbs in July. I still drink beer freely, but really eat much more protein and very little carbs except for some fruits and vegetables. I am definitely leaner than I was in July, and I'm back down to my "fighting weight". Excercise helps alot- I can burn off a few beers playing hockey a few times a week. I probably average 25-30 ounces of beer a night.

this_thread_is_useless_without_pics.gif

Ah, I stand corrected. My apologies. I applied my particular situation to this. Sorry about that.

I've gained about 8 pounds in the last year, on purpose. I'm 42, 6' tall and 162 pounds. In my situation, I've found that lifting first and then doing cardio builds muscle better and allows me to burn calories more effectively without harming the weight gain.

Oh, and my beer intake is typically 2 per day, maybe one or two more on the weekends.

No worries lol...

You want to know something really sad...for the first month I was in the gym, I would have sworn their scales were broken rather than admit I was 235 :D

Whatever you do first in a workout will get maximum effort because your energy supply is undepleted and your muscles haven't been stressed yet. That's why it's better to start with exercises that incorporate multiple muscle groups than kick off a work out with bicep curls. If you do cardio first your body will have less to give for strength training or vice versa.

is to change your lifestyle. The running and weight lifting is great but if its not something you normally enjoy you'll quit...

Im an ex trucker and its a VERY common problem for truckers. The thing is we're actually in "good shape". Truckers as a rule have killer arms and legs. We work them out all day long . But we dont burn calories because we're sitting all day and trust me.. you have to STARVE yourself just to hold your weight steady. I started making a point to walk a mile a day (youre at factories a lot and can always walk around the 70 foot long truck..) and to park away from entrances etc and it made a shocking difference.

You shoudl also change your diet. That subway diet thing is true. As long as you dont go to subway and order the superbadforyoustuff (bmt, meatball subs....). Cut out fatty meat. Eat chicken more. No more eggs and bacon. No candy or chips. YOu can still eat all the other stuff.

A 12" subway chicken breast is 320 calories. So you can eat those two pieces of candy because youre "hungry".. or that handfull of chips.. OR an entire sub. And cutting carbs is an incredibly fast way to lose weight. Cut your carbs to almost zero and your weight will plummet. Unfortunately your brain needs them and you'll literally stop your brain from working. I was 100% 0 carb and forgot where i was in the middle of pennsylvania :p Not good!

No worries lol...

You want to know something really sad...for the first month I was in the gym, I would have sworn their scales were broken rather than admit I was 235 :D

Denial, it's not just a river. :D

On the flip side, the more muscle you have, the more calories you burn just by doing nothing. Another thing to consider in the cardio before weights, weights before cardio debate.

Back