Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Chocolate Stout... What and when?

Old 11-18-2010, 01:54 AM   #1
neildytham
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Chocolate Stout... What and when?

So I'm brewing a Stout (with Coconut and Chocolate in it - I know, not everyone's taste, but I think it might be good).

I'm using lactose and chocolate malts, amongst other stuff, but have been trawling the forums to find the best way to add the chocolate flavor. I can't seem to find a unanimous opinion....

Some say add chocolate to the boil, others say add cocoa at flame out, some say add cacao nibs to the secondary.

So there are 3 options for each variable:
TIMING:
Boil/End of Boil/Secondary
ADDITION:
Chocolate/Cocoa/Cacao nibs (I don't wanna use an extract/chocolate vodka)

Some combination of the above.

I'm looking for a subtle smoothness from the chocolate, I don't want it to overpower the subtle coconut flavor...... suggestions?

Old 11-18-2010, 02:02 AM   #2
jbrookeiv
Beer Review Dude
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I'm interested in this as well. I've got a Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout clone in primary, and think chocolate would go well with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homebrewtastic View Post
I think a more pertinent question is where is AB and Miller Coors getting all of their horse urine?
Primary: Belgian Pale Ale w. Brett | Saison | Mango Pulp Wine | Graff, 10 gal

Bottled / Kegged: Hopped Imperial Wheat | AK47 Pale Mild, BIAB | AHS 20th Anniv. IPA, No Chill | Apfelwein
Leftover IIPA, No Chill | All-Molasses Ale | BIAB Black IPA | BIAB Hoppy Stout | JAOM | RyePA

Old 11-18-2010, 02:09 AM   #3
neildytham
Recipes 

By the way, this is for a 5 gallon batch....

Old 11-18-2010, 02:13 AM   #4
McNulty
Recipes 

Try 4 to 8 oz of Hershey's cocoa powder in the last 5 minutes of the boil. I hear the boil helps with clumping but my guess is too long in the boil and you get more bitterness, maybe? Also I think this would do well in a high ABV brew if aged for an extended period of time. I found a "Liquid Sex Chocolate Mead" recipe a while back that explained how the bitter oils in the cocoa break down over time, leaving subtle traces of delicate chocolate.

Old 11-18-2010, 02:37 AM   #5
mikeysab
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 28 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 534 Times on 407 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Yep, 8 oz unsweetened hersheys cocoa powder is the way to go it seems. Jamil Z does a podcast where he talks about a chocolate cherry stout, and this is the way he does it, so that's the way I went. 8 oz hersheys unsweetened powder at 5 minutes. I brewed 8.5 gallons, and I'm going with another 8 oz can cocoa and 6 pounds of cherry puree in secondary. I think nibs in secondary is another way a lot of people do it, and that works out fine as well.
Mikeysab on untappd.

Old 11-18-2010, 03:41 AM   #6
HOPCousin
Recipes 

Some say to add some vanilla bean to bring the cocoa flavor out.

I used Giardelli Semi sweet bakers chocolate 2 minutes before the end othe boil broken up in pieces and that added great flavor but it wasn't the predominant flavor. It was a nice dakr chocolate flaovor in the background with the coffee and the oatmeal.

I did an 8oz bar for 3 gallons. i would up it clightly so maybe 16 oz's for a 5 gallon would be nice. Th coca will be dryer in flavor and needs the vanilla bean to complete the flavor IMHO. I did this with an olde english style porter recipe.

Old 11-18-2010, 03:49 AM   #7
mikeysab
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 28 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 534 Times on 407 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Damn, you just reminded me I need a vanilla been tomorrow. Thanks
Mikeysab on untappd.

Old 11-18-2010, 03:57 AM   #8
nilo
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 21 Posts

I added 1/2 # of chocolate nibs to the primary, soaked in vodka for few days. It tastes awesome.

Old 11-18-2010, 04:21 AM   #9
lumpher
Recipes 

Liked 125 Times on 113 Posts
Likes Given: 16

i've got another chocolate stout aging right now. i use 1 lb chocolate malt per 5g in the mash
Fermenting: APA

Old 11-19-2010, 08:44 PM   #10
SevenFields
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrookeiv View Post
I'm interested in this as well. I've got a Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout clone in primary, and think chocolate would go well with it.
I did a Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout clone and added about a cup of
Hershey Chocolate syrup to the last 5 minutes of the boil. Then I added 2 split vanilla beans to secondary. Turned out amazing.

I got the idea of Hershey Choc. Syrup from BYOB magazine, to me this the easiest way to add chocolate flavor to your beer.

P.S - Are you the same jbrookeiv that is on Cigarasylum (im BeerAdvocate on there)

Primary 2: Belgian IPA
Secondary:
Bottled: American Barleywine
On Deck: Torpedo IPA