Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Freakin' nervous. First brew is tomorrow!

Old 11-17-2010, 09:07 PM   #1
Chenslee
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Freakin' nervous. First brew is tomorrow!

I'm brewing for the first time, Belgian white extract kit, and I'm sure I'm going to screw something up. I've been planning this for months.

I've got my 8 gallon brewpot, 6.5 gallon carboy, solid stopper, drilled stopper, hydrometer, thermometer, star san, PBW, racking cane, siphon hose, test jar and air lock...

I've got everything to convert my keggerator over to full MFL/FFL fittings, 4 cornies, enough ball locks to gas and serve from two kegs plus have a transfer line. I've bought a second 5# C02 cylinder and filled my propane tank. I've built and tested my 50' pumped immersion chiller, and modified a carboy cap with a MFL fitting for pressure racking to secondary.

How do you crack coriander? I have a DME yeast starter kit, should I attempt doing a starter my first time around?

I plan on leaving the beer in the primary for about 2 weeks, then racking over to a corny for a two week secondary fermentation, then chilling, carbing and serving in that same corny. Can someone spot check that plan?

Old 11-17-2010, 09:12 PM   #2
jmo88
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 9

You say this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chenslee View Post
I've got my 8 gallon brewpot, 6.5 gallon carboy, solid stopper, drilled stopper, hydrometer, thermometer, star san, PBW, racking cane, siphon hose, test jar and air lock...

I've got everything to convert my keggerator over to full MFL/FFL fittings, 4 cornies, enough ball locks to gas and serve from two kegs plus have a transfer line. I've bought a second 5# C02 cylinder and filled my propane tank. I've built and tested my 50' pumped immersion chiller, and modified a carboy cap with a MFL fitting for pressure racking to secondary.
and then this:

Quote:
How do you crack coriander?
I had to laugh, sorry. Relax. You seem REALLY ready for some great homebrew and you have more equipment than many brewers who have been doing it for years.

Oh, and to crack coriander just use a pepper grinder, mortal pestle, or rolling pin.

Old 11-17-2010, 09:21 PM   #3
Ohio-Ed
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts

You did not say if your carboy is glass or a better bottle. Be very careful pressurizing a glass carboy to transfer. I do it, but just mindful that it is basically a glass grenade in your hands if something goes wrong. I make sure there is a pressure relief, and that too much pressure does not build up in the carboy. I have a rubber stopper drilled for a racking cane and an extra hole that I put a barbed fitting in for co2.
I shut the regulator and open it slowly until the beer starts to move (about 2 psi). Don't rush it will take several minutes to transfer. My preference is to have the carboy in a position to gravity feed to the keg and just use the co2 to start the siphon.

As far as the plan... I think you have it covered. Remember, the point is to have a good time.

Old 11-17-2010, 09:23 PM   #4
Suthrncomfrt1884
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 3

+1 on how to crack coriander.

Also, as stated...you sound like you're more than ready. Congrats on all the nice equipment for a new brewer.

As far as your fermentation goes... ignore the secondary with a belgian wit. It's a beer that should be drank as fresh as possible. Two weeks in primary is perfect as long as it's finished fermenting.

And, with most beers (unless you're adding something) secondary isn't really needed. I know the books say to use a secondary, but 3-4 weeks in primary and then a month in the bottles or a few weeks in the keg is just as good if not better. Plus...it saves time. I only use secondary if my OG is above 1.070ish or if I'm adding something to the beer (chocolate, coffee, fruit, bourbon, etc.).

Have fun, and relax. If you can cook, you can brew a beer.

Another HERMS rig...

Old 11-17-2010, 09:27 PM   #5
benharper13
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Rdwhapbr

Old 11-17-2010, 09:33 PM   #6
starrfish
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 25

I crack my coriander in a mortis and pestle, takes a while but I can control the crush. I've thought about my coffee grinder a few times though!

If it is a glass carboy watch out adding hot liquid... you have a chiller so it Won't be an issue. (glass doesn't like rapid temp changes and could shatter)

I only do starters on big beers over 1.050 OG. and never with dry yeast, only liquids. if I'm using dry on a big big beer I double pitch.

“Son, you are a walking violation of the laws of nature, but you’re lucky, we don't enforce them laws.”

Old 11-17-2010, 09:35 PM   #7
Jaysus
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 79

Brewing is fun... nothing to be nervous about.

Old 11-17-2010, 09:41 PM   #8
cruckin78
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by benharper13 View Post
Rdwhapbr
and soon it will be RDWHAHB

Excessive Hoppyness Brewing
Tap 1: Falling Leaf Oktoberfest Ale
Tap 2:Kickback Chcoclate Stout
Kegged:Cold Night Winter Warmer
Primary 1: American Amber Ale
Primary 2: American Amber Ale
Primary 3:
Coming up:
Bottled:nothing :(

Excessive Hoppyness Brew Pub
Beer Reviews, and Brewery Updates!
www.excessivehoppyness.blogspot.com <----NEW REVIEWS ADDED!

Old 11-17-2010, 09:43 PM   #9
Frodo
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
I have a DME yeast starter kit, should I attempt doing a starter my first time around?
If you're brewing tomorrow you're getting pretty close to out of time for the starter. It probably would be enough time if you did it ASAP. You don't really have to pitch yeast tomorrow if you brew tomorrow, but that's the ideal scenario... I've waited for my starter to finish before pitching it the next morning. Good luck! You sound ready.

Old 11-17-2010, 09:47 PM   #10
edie
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

don't take this the wrong way but you probably will screw something up BUT don't panic. unless your REALLY screw something up you're going to end up with beer.

have fun, even with our screwups we've had a great time and ended up with some tasty brews.

let's hear how it turns out.

PRIMARY
nada

SECONDARY
nada

ON TAP
#1 damn near dead guy
#2 lil pils
#3 daisy's dunkel
#4 cream of the crop

ON DECK
-still looking for a rye (an extract with a low hop profile)