Filtering into the primary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BruDaddy

Reaction score
With my first batch of brew, there was a fairly thick layer of sediment at the bottom of my carboy (used only a primary). Being a bit paranoid, I avoided siphoning too close to the sediment when I transfered to the bottling bucket. The batch yielded only 42 bottles. Believing in 'waste not want not' I decided to filter the wort for my second batch, using a fine mesh filter that fits into a funnel. The result was not too great, the filter clogged constantly causing much difficulty. Is there a better way to filter? Is filtering necessary? Thanks!

Your beer is ruined. Please send all 42 to me for proper disposal.

Your fine dude. Thats your trubb from the brewing process. Totally normal. This is why alot of us do 5.5 gallon batches so we end up with a full 5 when its all said and done.

Just send me a stamped envelope...

Thanks, I'm using kits while I get the hang of this, will making 5.5 gallon batches with ingredients for 5 gallons be OK?

Back