What a mess - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > What a mess

Old 11-17-2010, 04:47 AM   #1
OHIOSTEVE
Recipes 

Sep 2009
SIDNEY, ohio
Liked 72 Times on 64 Posts

I transferred my Stone ruination clone ( Thanks YOOP) to secondary and cold crash this afternoon. I have never had such a mess trying to siphon beer. I had to stop, clean the racking cane and restart about 4 times. I had a paint strainer bag over the end to catch any hops that got sucked up, but my ignorant ass had it on the RECEIVING end and not over the actual racking cane end. I switched it and it worked smooth as silk. SO for any new brewers, if you have a TON of hops sludge from dry hopping ( no bag) slip a 1 gallon paint strainer bag over the end of your racking cane and secure it with a bubber band ( obviously sanitize everything) and siphon away.
BALDGUT BREWS

Old 11-17-2010, 07:11 PM   #2
Bowtiebrewery
Recipes 

May 2009
Seymour, CT
Liked 97 Times on 80 Posts

Also I would add that a Carboy cap is an invaluable piece of equipment that I completely recommend purchasing for starting siphons.

Old 11-19-2010, 05:36 AM   #3
Dogphish
Recipes 

Nov 2010
Beach, VA
Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

can someone please clarify what a carboy cap has to do with starting a siphon?

Old 11-19-2010, 07:22 AM   #4
Skaggz
Recipes 

Sep 2010
Gridley, CA
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Racking cane goes in the center hole. You gently blow on the second hole. Poof, liquid comes up the cane and follows through in a siphon. Haven't you ever wondered why a carboy cap has two "spouts"?
Primary 4: Chocolate Stout

Old 11-19-2010, 11:14 AM   #5
kingmatt
Recipes 

Mar 2010
Souderton, PA
Liked 45 Times on 35 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHIOSTEVE View Post
I transferred my Stone ruination clone ( Thanks YOOP) to secondary and cold crash this afternoon. I have never had such a mess trying to siphon beer. I had to stop, clean the racking cane and restart about 4 times. I had a paint strainer bag over the end to catch any hops that got sucked up, but my ignorant ass had it on the RECEIVING end and not over the actual racking cane end. I switched it and it worked smooth as silk. SO for any new brewers, if you have a TON of hops sludge from dry hopping ( no bag) slip a 1 gallon paint strainer bag over the end of your racking cane and secure it with a bubber band ( obviously sanitize everything) and siphon away.
hmmm...I have always put the bag over the receiving end in these situations as well and have never had a problem. The cap on the end of my autosiphon seems to do a pretty good job of preventing clogs and I would think that a bag would clog a lot easier on that end.
On Deck: Conan IPA the next generation
-=My Keezer Build=-

Old 11-19-2010, 03:01 PM   #6
OHIOSTEVE
Recipes 

Sep 2009
SIDNEY, ohio
Liked 72 Times on 64 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingmatt View Post
hmmm...I have always put the bag over the receiving end in these situations as well and have never had a problem. The cap on the end of my autosiphon seems to do a pretty good job of preventing clogs and I would think that a bag would clog a lot easier on that end.
Normally I would agree. this just kept plugging up.
BALDGUT BREWS

Old 11-19-2010, 06:56 PM   #7
malkore

Recipes 

Jun 2007
Nebraska
Liked 37 Times on 35 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skaggz View Post
Racking cane goes in the center hole. You gently blow on the second hole. Poof, liquid comes up the cane and follows through in a siphon. Haven't you ever wondered why a carboy cap has two "spouts"?
It has two spouts so the second one can have a blow off tube attached at first and removed later if needed.

Nothing wrong with your idea, except all the bacteria in your mouth as you blow into the precious beer.

People i know that use this trick push it with pure CO2 to avoid contamination and oxidation.
Bottled: MOAM, Braggot, Raspberry Melomel, Merlot, Apfelwein, Pyment, Sweet mead, Cabernet
Gal in 2009: 27, Gal in 2010: 34, Gal in 2011: 13, Gal in 2012: 10

Old 08-19-2011, 05:16 PM   #8
ChadChaney
Recipes 

Aug 2011
Carroll, IA
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Just my opinion, but spending $11 on an AutoSiphon will solve a lot of this issue, supe easy to use and makes siphoning less of a chore.

Old 08-19-2011, 05:18 PM   #9
Hugh_Jass
Recipes 

Nov 2008
Liked 39 Times on 38 Posts

I'm sure he's worked out the problem by now.......