What a mess - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > What a mess

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2010, 04:47 AM   #1
OHIOSTEVE
Recipes 
 
Sep 2009
SIDNEY, ohio
Posts: 3,526
Liked 72 Times on 64 Posts



I transferred my Stone ruination clone ( Thanks YOOP) to secondary and cold crash this afternoon. I have never had such a mess trying to siphon beer. I had to stop, clean the racking cane and restart about 4 times. I had a paint strainer bag over the end to catch any hops that got sucked up, but my ignorant ass had it on the RECEIVING end and not over the actual racking cane end. I switched it and it worked smooth as silk. SO for any new brewers, if you have a TON of hops sludge from dry hopping ( no bag) slip a 1 gallon paint strainer bag over the end of your racking cane and secure it with a bubber band ( obviously sanitize everything) and siphon away.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikethepoolguy View Post
I started brewing 69 days ago, 35 gal so far. SWMBO hasnt complained yet! Better than the hookers, gambling, and crack I used to do, I guess.
BALDGUT BREWS

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 07:11 PM   #2
Bowtiebrewery
Recipes 
 
May 2009
Seymour, CT
Posts: 1,052
Liked 97 Times on 80 Posts


Also I would add that a Carboy cap is an invaluable piece of equipment that I completely recommend purchasing for starting siphons.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 05:36 AM   #3
Dogphish
Recipes 
 
Nov 2010
Beach, VA
Posts: 651
Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts


can someone please clarify what a carboy cap has to do with starting a siphon?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 07:22 AM   #4
Skaggz
Recipes 
 
Sep 2010
Gridley, CA
Posts: 271
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


Racking cane goes in the center hole. You gently blow on the second hole. Poof, liquid comes up the cane and follows through in a siphon. Haven't you ever wondered why a carboy cap has two "spouts"?
__________________
Primary 1: Apfelwine
Primary 2: Buddy's Brown Porter
Primary 3: "Brown" Hefeweizen (oops?)
Primary 4: Chocolate Stout

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 11:14 AM   #5
kingmatt
Recipes 
 
Mar 2010
Souderton, PA
Posts: 762
Liked 45 Times on 35 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by OHIOSTEVE View Post
I transferred my Stone ruination clone ( Thanks YOOP) to secondary and cold crash this afternoon. I have never had such a mess trying to siphon beer. I had to stop, clean the racking cane and restart about 4 times. I had a paint strainer bag over the end to catch any hops that got sucked up, but my ignorant ass had it on the RECEIVING end and not over the actual racking cane end. I switched it and it worked smooth as silk. SO for any new brewers, if you have a TON of hops sludge from dry hopping ( no bag) slip a 1 gallon paint strainer bag over the end of your racking cane and secure it with a bubber band ( obviously sanitize everything) and siphon away.
hmmm...I have always put the bag over the receiving end in these situations as well and have never had a problem. The cap on the end of my autosiphon seems to do a pretty good job of preventing clogs and I would think that a bag would clog a lot easier on that end.
__________________
Primary: Pliny Clone
Secondary: 'Merica Clone
Kegged: N.E. IPA, Rye IPA, Milk Stout
On Deck: Conan IPA the next generation
-=My Keezer Build=-

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 03:01 PM   #6
OHIOSTEVE
Recipes 
 
Sep 2009
SIDNEY, ohio
Posts: 3,526
Liked 72 Times on 64 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by kingmatt View Post
hmmm...I have always put the bag over the receiving end in these situations as well and have never had a problem. The cap on the end of my autosiphon seems to do a pretty good job of preventing clogs and I would think that a bag would clog a lot easier on that end.
Normally I would agree. this just kept plugging up.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikethepoolguy View Post
I started brewing 69 days ago, 35 gal so far. SWMBO hasnt complained yet! Better than the hookers, gambling, and crack I used to do, I guess.
BALDGUT BREWS

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 06:56 PM   #7
malkore
 
malkore's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2007
Nebraska
Posts: 6,922
Liked 37 Times on 35 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Skaggz View Post
Racking cane goes in the center hole. You gently blow on the second hole. Poof, liquid comes up the cane and follows through in a siphon. Haven't you ever wondered why a carboy cap has two "spouts"?
It has two spouts so the second one can have a blow off tube attached at first and removed later if needed.

Nothing wrong with your idea, except all the bacteria in your mouth as you blow into the precious beer.

People i know that use this trick push it with pure CO2 to avoid contamination and oxidation.
__________________
Malkore
Primary: English Mild
On tap: Pale Ale, Lancelot's Wheat, English Brown Ale, Steam Beer, HoovNuts IPA
Bottled: MOAM, Braggot, Raspberry Melomel, Merlot, Apfelwein, Pyment, Sweet mead, Cabernet
Gal in 2009: 27, Gal in 2010: 34, Gal in 2011: 13, Gal in 2012: 10

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 05:16 PM   #8
ChadChaney
Recipes 
 
Aug 2011
Carroll, IA
Posts: 452
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts


Just my opinion, but spending $11 on an AutoSiphon will solve a lot of this issue, supe easy to use and makes siphoning less of a chore.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 05:18 PM   #9
Hugh_Jass
Recipes 
 
Nov 2008
Posts: 1,974
Liked 39 Times on 38 Posts


I'm sure he's worked out the problem by now.......
__________________
Quote:
"My new company is going to sell Aqua-infused(tm), Alphabetamashed(tm), Wortboiled(tm), Multihops Brewed(tm), Saccharomented(tm), Lageriffic(tm) beer. - Bobby_M
Pigs are fantastic creatures. They convert vegetables into bacon.

 
Reply With Quote


Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Did I mess anything up? sportscrazed2 Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 8 10-08-2010 08:20 PM
Did i mess up? OHIOSTEVE Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 2 07-08-2010 03:48 AM
What will become of this mess? betterbeer1 Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 7 05-07-2010 02:04 PM
did I mess this up? OHIOSTEVE Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 1 03-01-2010 11:36 PM
Well did i mess up? CanuckBrewing Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 1 02-10-2009 04:20 AM


Forum Jump