Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Other > Gamma Vittles Vault Stackables

Old 11-16-2010, 06:33 AM   #1
pipapat
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Gamma Vittles Vault Stackables

Organizing the brew room and wanted something other than piles of grain bags for all my opened grains.

noticed the Gamma Vittles Vault Stackables on petco.com.

The 40 hold 40 lbs of dog food.
Anyone use these to store grain?
Just wondering if i can get away with the 40 or should i be going 60+?

These would be really nice for my pilsner and 2 row bags if they would work.

Old 11-16-2010, 04:49 PM   #2
Steven9026
Recipes 

I bought one for the same reason. I was in the process of washing it when I found it would leak water around the seal on the lip of the container. The screw in lid sealed but the gasket on the flanged part would leak water out of it. I called the manufacture, and he said the gasket would seat and become air tight. he also suggested to try taping it down with a rubber mallet. I did that and I could still get air and water to pass between the gasket. I checked some in the store and found that if I screw the lid on tight, and squeezed it, I could hear air escaping around the same gasket. I returned mine and I'm still trying to find a good way to store my 55lb. grain bags. I have been splitting them up in Fermentation buckets, until I find another source. If you find out that its not a problem, or someone else has a suggestion on using these please let me know. I love the way they work, and would love to have something like them for storage.

Steven

Old 11-16-2010, 05:08 PM   #3
GilaMinumBeer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5878 Times on 5109 Posts
Likes Given: 80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven9026 View Post
I bought one for the same reason. I was in the process of washing it when I found it would leak water around the seal on the lip of the container. The screw in lid sealed but the gasket on the flanged part would leak water out of it. I called the manufacture, and he said the gasket would seat and become air tight. he also suggested to try taping it down with a rubber mallet. I did that and I could still get air and water to pass between the gasket. I checked some in the store and found that if I screw the lid on tight, and squeezed it, I could hear air escaping around the same gasket. I returned mine and I'm still trying to find a good way to store my 55lb. grain bags. I have been splitting them up in Fermentation buckets, until I find another source. If you find out that its not a problem, or someone else has a suggestion on using these please let me know. I love the way they work, and would love to have something like them for storage.

Steven
Why would this be a problem? There is no risk of oxidation with grain and, regardless, unless you are storing them under a blanket of CO2 or Nitrogen there will be air in there anyway?

I just fail to understand the logic of your issue with these vaults. They are designed to keep bugs and rodents from infesting what is stored inside. Chance srae you will find weevils in the grain regardless. Otherwise, the vaults do what they are designed to do. And they are not designed to be hermetically sealed.

Old 11-16-2010, 05:11 PM   #4
nutty_gnome
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 87 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Mine seals well enough to ferment in, and I do.
For the price, you are likely better off with the home depot buckets for grain storage. If you get the gamma seal lids online (which will fit the homer buckets), you can still have the nice easy open lids. I use one outfitted with the gamma seal lid to store salt for ice melting purposes. It works great.

Old 11-16-2010, 05:22 PM   #5
Steven9026
Recipes 

Thanks for the Info Gila.. I guess I'm to over protective of my grains,, LOL,, I store them in the bags they came in after I open them , I use a zip tie to keep them tight. I also have a container of silica gel beads in the container that I put the bags in to keep the moisture away from the too.. Am I being way over the top ???

Old 11-16-2010, 05:32 PM   #6
GilaMinumBeer

Recipes 

Liked 5878 Times on 5109 Posts
Likes Given: 80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven9026 View Post
Thanks for the Info Gila.. I guess I'm to over protective of my grains,, LOL,, I store them in the bags they came in after I open them , I use a zip tie to keep them tight. I also have a container of silica gel beads in the container that I put the bags in to keep the moisture away from the too.. Am I being way over the top ???
A bit. I mean unless you live in the Tropics or in a high humidity area humidity shouldn't be an issue and ideally you'd want the grains used within a year of purchase date regardless.

Also, Silica Gel has it's limits too and eventually needs to be recharged (de-hydrated) to remain effective.

The main thing of importance is keeping the grain from bugs and high moisture levels. Storing oxygen free will extend the useful life of the grain but if it's lasting that long you are buying too much.

Old 11-16-2010, 05:44 PM   #7
akthor
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 27 Posts

What about big trash cans? For $20 - $30 at Wal-Mart, Lowes, Home Depot you could get a can that has a lid that snaps on tightly that would keep out pests.

I remember those gamma vittles vaults were kind of spendy.

Old 11-16-2010, 05:49 PM   #8
mikeysab
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 28 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 534 Times on 407 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Do weevils need to be mashed, or can they just be steeped? Or is dry-weeviling good enough?
Mikeysab on untappd.
People Like This 
Old 11-16-2010, 05:49 PM   #9
LooyvilleLarry
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I have a regular one that I use for my 2 row, and it is fine.
I just bought a bunch of grain (6 bags) @ near wholesale, and I think that I will try to use SpaceBags on them to keep the bugs out and minimize the O2 exposure.

Secondary

Kegged
BeeCave Haus Ale - 6%
Bells Two Hearted, round 2- 6.1%
SNPA Clone (Chilled )
Hard Lemonade

Shiraz - 6 gal

Old 11-16-2010, 05:51 PM   #10
Randar
Damn right I got da brews
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4799 Times on 4684 Posts
Likes Given: 2877

There are ones called Vittle Vault II at US Plastics (manufactured by Gamma) that are less expensive than the original. Still, they are not cheap, but you can get ones that will hold a full sack of grain. Been thinking about getting some next time I go to Ohio to visit my sister.

Right now I have the big Rubbermaid trash cans with lids that I store grain in. I can fit 2 full sacks or 3 partially used sacks in there at a time, but it is certainly less than ideal storage method since they take up a lot of floor space. and not stackable.