Suspension without pay - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > Suspension without pay

Old 11-16-2010, 12:34 AM   #1
vicratlhead51
Recipes 

Jul 2010
Bay City MI
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm watching the latest episode of Dexter. Deb just got suspended from her job with pay. Yeah, with pay! Why is it on cop dramas they get so upset about this kind of thing, especially the position she's in, she's not fired or demoted, she knows her boss is using her as a fallguy and when its over it probably won't get mentioned. I guess I'm crazy but I'd be like "OK I been bad" then I'd take vacation. Does that mean I have no consience?

Old 11-16-2010, 12:41 AM   #2
iggie
Recipes 

Nov 2010
Oak Harbor, Washington

I can't see a problem with your line of thinking. Makes sense to me.

Though, on the flip side, the ones that usually get suspended are the ones that get made out to be the most passionate about what they do. I guess it would similar to saying "you have to keep brewing but you don't get to drink any of it."

Old 11-16-2010, 12:53 AM   #3
crlova2
Recipes 

Dec 2009
Lexington, KY
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I was thinking the same thing. Dexter is such a good show I can't wait for next week's episode.

Old 11-16-2010, 01:01 AM   #4
mattd2
Recipes 

Sep 2009
Papamoa, New Zealand
Liked 307 Times on 245 Posts

Makes sense in the Dexter situation to think it is sweet.
In the real world however you would be sitting there s**ting yourself thinking what dirt they are digging up on you to have a legitimate reason to fire you.
If it something none major you would likely just get a written warning, a slap on the hand and back to work. Supsension without pay gives the play makers time to find out if they want to keep you around without worrying about you making more trouble.
I would not like to be in that position

Old 11-16-2010, 01:13 AM   #5
rexbanner

Recipes 

Nov 2008
DC
Liked 98 Times on 70 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggie View Post
I can't see a problem with your line of thinking. Makes sense to me.

Though, on the flip side, the ones that usually get suspended are the ones that get made out to be the most passionate about what they do. I guess it would similar to saying "you have to keep brewing but you don't get to drink any of it."
Uhh what planet are you from? Cops that beat and murder innocent people are the ones who make headlines getting suspension with pay during a go-nowhere investigation.

I have no problem with honest cops, but there is some messed up **** that goes on in America.

Crooked Run Brewing: Seek Truth, Cherish Nature

Makers of Red Kolsch, Storm, and Shadow of Truth

Old 11-16-2010, 01:16 AM   #6
mattd2
Recipes 

Sep 2009
Papamoa, New Zealand
Liked 307 Times on 245 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexbanner View Post
Cops that beat and murder innocent people are the ones who make headlines getting suspension with pay during a go-nowhere investigation.
i.e. The cops that a very passionate about their job, to them everyone is a criminal

Old 11-16-2010, 02:39 AM   #7
iggie
Recipes 

Nov 2010
Oak Harbor, Washington

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexbanner View Post
Uhh what planet are you from? Cops that beat and murder innocent people are the ones who make headlines getting suspension with pay during a go-nowhere investigation.

I have no problem with honest cops, but there is some messed up **** that goes on in America.
I thought we were talking about TELEVISION cops. I have never heard of an actual Law Enforcement Official being suspended with pay for what you mentioned. Not saying it doesn't happen, I just haven't hear of it.

Old 11-16-2010, 02:45 PM   #8
Marko73

Recipes 

Oct 2007
Clayton, North Carolina
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I worked in a town where a police officer was caught with cocaine with intent and was suspended with pay. Blew me away. .. .
"It is sheer folly to be taken by the hand and led down the path of better brewing by someone who says that they know it all. No, it is your experience that counts most. It is your experience that will always lead you to more questions."

~Charlie Papazian

Old 11-16-2010, 02:46 PM   #9
GilaMinumBeer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jan 2008
Liked 7412 Times on 6080 Posts

Because a suspension on an employment record, even with pay, is a suspension.

Old 11-16-2010, 04:02 PM   #10
Airborneguy
Adjunct of the Law
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Sep 2009
Isle of Staten
Liked 854 Times on 626 Posts

Suspension with pay usually means that the department wants to fire the person but is making sure that they can legally do it. With pay is very rare in most places. Without pay usually means that the suspension alone is the punishment for whatever happened.