Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Lager Schedule/Temp Woes

Old 11-15-2010, 11:11 PM   #1
jake_up
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Lager Schedule/Temp Woes

I bought a pilsener kit not realizing what kind of beast a lager is. Long story short: My brewing setup is in my apartment bedroom(read: temperature woes). I have been working on some work-arounds. My question is will I ruin the beer if I follow this schedule:

Primary: 2 weeks @ 57F
Secondary: 3 weeks @ 65F (mostly to get it off the trub while it sits)
Prime, Pitch more yeast and Bottle
Bottle Age: 4 weeks @ 39F or 61F (I could do either)

I know that it will be done fermenting before I even put it into the secondary, but due to travel schedule issues, this is the best I can come up with. So will that 3 weeks of just sitting around at 65F ruin it? I thought siphoning it to a carboy to get it off the trub while it sits around might help. Any thoughts on this will help. What happens if I ferment at 57F but lager at room temp instead of cold?

Thanks

Old 11-15-2010, 11:21 PM   #2
sudbuster
This ain't my first rodeo....
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 276 Times on 216 Posts
Likes Given: 95

Quote:
Originally Posted by jake_up View Post
I bought a pilsener kit not realizing what kind of beast a lager is. Long story short: My brewing setup is in my apartment bedroom(read: temperature woes). I have been working on some work-arounds. My question is will I ruin the beer if I follow this schedule:

Primary: 2 weeks @ 57F
Secondary: 3 weeks @ 65F (mostly to get it off the trub while it sits)
Prime, Pitch more yeast and Bottle
Bottle Age: 4 weeks @ 39F or 61F (I could do either)

I know that it will be done fermenting before I even put it into the secondary, but due to travel schedule issues, this is the best I can come up with. So will that 3 weeks of just sitting around at 65F ruin it? I thought siphoning it to a carboy to get it off the trub while it sits around might help. Any thoughts on this will help. What happens if I ferment at 57F but lager at room temp instead of cold?

Thanks
Keep it as low as you can. It won't taste just like pilsner, but it will be beer.

Old 11-15-2010, 11:25 PM   #3
boo boo
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Really depends on the yeast you are using.
And you won't ruin your beer, just it won't be as you expected more than likely.

Old 11-16-2010, 04:03 AM   #4
jake_up
Recipes 

Good to hear! There is nothing scarier than ruining 5 gallons of the good stuff.