Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Stratification in the grain bed

Old 11-15-2010, 07:06 PM   #1
BrewDey
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Stratification in the grain bed

I fly sparge so my mash is usually pretty much liquid. I keep an equal flow in and out. I always notice when I dump my grains how the different grains layer themselves according to relative size. Is this OK? It all goes to the same place right? Never had a problem with efficiency, just wondering if there are any drawbacks to this.

Old 11-16-2010, 04:59 AM   #2
GilaMinumBeer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5687 Times on 4981 Posts
Likes Given: 76

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewDey View Post
I fly sparge so my mash is usually pretty much liquid. I keep an equal flow in and out. I always notice when I dump my grains how the different grains layer themselves according to relative size. Is this OK? It all goes to the same place right? Never had a problem with efficiency, just wondering if there are any drawbacks to this.
What do you suppose you could do to "fix" that?

If it ain't broke........

Old 11-17-2010, 11:00 AM   #3
ejearn
Recipes 

It's just gravity settling; it's physics, and unavoidable unless you have reason to stir the grains. I imagine it helps make a nice grain-bed filter, and probably reduces flow a bit. But I wouldn't worry about it unless you get a stuck sparge; then maybe stir every so often.