Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Bottling Issues

Old 11-15-2010, 04:05 PM   #1
Lunarpancake
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Bottling Issues

I started bottling recently (used to keg) because a friend has been pitching in to help pay for the kits ive been buying. Anyways ive noticed that bottling give my beers a slightly different taste. Im wondering if this has something to do with the temp. that im letting the bottles condition at? Are there any other reasons I may have this slight off flavor?

I cant explain the flavor but I can tell you that I made a soda kit with standard bread yeast and the off flavor was much more prominent in the soda than my beers.

Old 11-15-2010, 04:08 PM   #2
BendBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Yeah someone else can explain why the flavors are different a lot better than I can, but I just wanted to suggest going back to kegging your beer and fill bottles from that. It's a piece of cake once you get it down.

Old 11-15-2010, 04:10 PM   #3
BrookdaleBrew
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

What kind of sugar are you using for priming?

My only other thought is maybe your beers are a little yeastier out of the bottle and that is what you're tasting.

Old 11-15-2010, 04:19 PM   #4
Lunarpancake
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrookdaleBrew View Post
What kind of sugar are you using for priming?

My only other thought is maybe your beers are a little yeastier out of the bottle and that is what you're tasting.
Yea that could be it. I am using the standard priming sugar that I get in most of the kits I buy. (I have a lot of it since I had been kegging previously)

Old 11-15-2010, 04:20 PM   #5
Lunarpancake
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendBrewer View Post
Yeah someone else can explain why the flavors are different a lot better than I can, but I just wanted to suggest going back to kegging your beer and fill bottles from that. It's a piece of cake once you get it down.
I had problems with over-carbonation with my kegging process. I never had a chance to iron it out before my buddy wanted to help out and pitch $ in.

Old 11-15-2010, 04:44 PM   #6
jfr1111
Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 53 Posts

How much time have the bottles been left alone in the fridge before serving ? I get a more yeasty taste in bottles if I put them in the fridge an hour or so before serving than if I leave them for a week.

Old 11-15-2010, 04:46 PM   #7
Lunarpancake
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfr1111 View Post
How much time have the bottles been left alone in the fridge before serving ? I get a more yeasty taste in bottles if I put them in the fridge an hour or so before serving than if I leave them for a week.
that may be some of the issue. I usually put them in the fridge 1-2 hrs before max. I have one that has been in the back of the fridge for 2-3weeks,ill drink during the football game tonight.