A pet peeve! - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > A pet peeve!

Old 11-15-2010, 12:43 AM   #1
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Jun 2006
UP of Michigan, Winter Texan
Liked 7720 Times on 5423 Posts

You know what bugs me? When a sports fan refers to his favorite team as "We".

My brother-in-law is the worst. He's a huge Cowboys fan, and a MSU Spartans fan. Now, he IS an MSU alum, but still.

Here's a sample from Facebook, "Well, it's basketball season! Let's see how we do this season!" "Dallas won- we finally have a coach!" "We're going to be great this season!" "We need some fresh legs". "We're down right now, but we can come back!"

WE? How long have you been playing for the Cowboys and I flippin' missed it?

I didn't realize that my perception of you being a computer dork sitting in front of a computer 19 hours a day was so wrong! Here you are, commuting back and forth from Phoenix to Dallas daily as to play pro football, and I thought you were just a big dork loser all this time. I apologize.

Thanks- I feel better now!

Old 11-15-2010, 12:45 AM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Dec 2007
"Detroitish" Michigan
Liked 3184 Times on 1883 Posts

You and Shecky should get a motel. He did a rant like this a couple years back...I don't know which sets him off more, the royal we in sports fandom or porch couches.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-15-2010, 01:04 AM   #3
RonRock
Always Ready

Recipes 

Jul 2008
Underwood, Iowa
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Hope your BIL don't follow HBT.

But as long as you feel better.

You know I'm just funn'n with ya? Right?

Old 11-15-2010, 01:05 AM   #4
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Jun 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonRock View Post
Hope your BIL don't follow HBT.

But as long as you feel better.
No, I'm sure right now he's in the showers as the game just ended and apparently "they" won. He has a heckuva commute back to Phoenix tonight, so he won't have time to do much more than Facebook, I'm sure.

Old 11-15-2010, 01:16 AM   #5
captianoats
Recipes 

Oct 2008
Jasper IN
Liked 47 Times on 36 Posts

Not to start a war, but as far as I'm concerned, there is a WE is sports.

As long as I'm paying money for tickets, jerseys, T-shirts, etc. I am vested in this team. Ask any player if the fans cheering make a difference in how they play, the answer is yes.

Old 11-15-2010, 01:19 AM   #6
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Jun 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by captianoats View Post
Not to start a war, but as far as I'm concerned, there is a WE is sports.

As long as I'm paying money for tickets, jerseys, T-shirts, etc. I am vested in this team. Ask any player if the fans cheering make a difference in how they play, the answer is yes.
So, if "your team" picks third in the draft, you incessantly talk about who "we're" going to draft?

I'm a fan of several teams, including the Red Wings. But I have yet to say, "We're going to work harder on defense" and "We're hurting right now on the second line". The closest I've come to that is hugging the Stanley Cup last year after one of my games.

Old 11-15-2010, 01:25 AM   #7
bmud0314
Recipes 

Mar 2010
Albion, NY
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I try to not use "we" when referring to my sports teams. I am a buffalo sabres and buffalo bills fans. THEY both won this weekend (holy crap), THEY did well. Maybe when the get better I will use "we".

Old 11-15-2010, 01:27 AM   #8
jpc
Recipes 

Jan 2009
Santa Clara, CA
Liked 68 Times on 51 Posts

The "we" for any team would refer to anyone who gets PAID by said team. Therefore, if you are the one PAYING, you are a "fan" and not entitled to use the term "we". The proper pronoun to use is "THEY", since "THEY" are the ones playing.

Old 11-15-2010, 01:38 AM   #9
Ohio-Ed

Recipes 

Nov 2008
Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpc View Post
The "we" for any team would refer to anyone who gets PAID by said team. Therefore, if you are the one PAYING, you are a "fan" and not entitled to use the term "we". The proper pronoun to use is "THEY", since "THEY" are the ones playing.
I use They when they're losing and We, when we're winning

Just kiddin... I agree with ya Yoop, maybe just not bothered by it quite so much.

Ed

Old 11-15-2010, 01:45 AM   #10
Edcculus
Recipes 

Jun 2007
Greenville, SC
Liked 48 Times on 45 Posts

I don't really follow any professional sports, but I do refer to my alma mater as "we" in reference to their sports teams. I'm probably more likely to say "we" when talking to other alum rather than people who didn't go there.