Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Kegerators and Keezers > My Chest Freezer Kegerator Hidden Behind Bar Wall

Old 11-18-2010, 02:42 PM   #21
WolfieBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

HeyNoPie,

Thanks for the heads up though. Originally I was considering using my refrigerator in my bar instead of a freezer. I have any upright Fridge/Freezer and I was contemplating taking the shelves out of the fridge and using it. I didn't want to put the faucets on the door because I figured opening and closing the door would just cause a tangled mess. So I thought about drilling through the top or side and running the faucets above my counter beside the fridge. The guy at the local homebrew supply store said 1' of line was approximately 1 beer and there was no way I could do it without at least 2' of line. I didn't like the thought of warm beer basting the lines and having to burn a beer or two every time I went for a new drink. So this is ultimately how I came up with the freezer behind the wall and notching the collar to go around the stud. I could have put a header in the wall and pushed the keezer flush but that would have been way too much work because that section of the wall is load bearing. I can't wait for it to be operational. My biggest fear is that after all this work, something will happen to the freezer. At that point, I would almost have to try to have it serviced. I know it's holding the refrigerant because it gets to and holds a freezing temperature very quickly.

Old 11-19-2010, 03:56 AM   #22
WolfieBrew
Recipes 

most ghetto jumper cable to test the Ranco Digital Temp Controller - The lid connections needed to be completed for the freezer to turn on and I am all out of romex.

I am still curious to know, if possible, how I can bypass connecting the wiring harness to the lid. Can anyone instruct me by looking at the diagram. I can do some elementary electrical connections but, beyond simple, I am lost. I know the (4) wires in the jumper say NC, N OPEN, and COM and the White Wire isn't labeled. I just don't need the light or the auto defrost to activate a heater. For anyone who is using a Ranco controller, what temp differential would you use? I also noticed that you can wire four temp probes in series to get an average temperature in the chest. Might be a useful feature down the road. No comments on the original freezer thermostat setting? I assume keeping it at the lowest temp setting would make the most sense bc it's never going to reach that temp and the Ranco will control everything warmer.

Old 11-20-2010, 05:34 PM   #23
WolfieBrew
Recipes 

Figured the answer to my electrical question. Wired the "Normally Open" and "COM" together and capped the "White" and "Normally Closed". Works like a champ with no need to interact at all with the defrost heater and mercury switch in the lid.

Old 11-21-2010, 04:15 PM   #24
WolfieBrew
Recipes 

I just realized I can fit almost 3 kegs on the shelf so I will have plenty of room for all my kegs and some for a few carboys.

Old 01-25-2011, 01:52 AM   #25
rednour1
Recipes 

Do your shanks attach to the drywall only, or does the front pull on the drywall, and the back to the inside of the collar, essentially holding the collar in place? I'm installing mine this weekend, and am concerned with "clamping" the collar to the drywall.

Just wondered what you did.

Thanks,

Craig