Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > AHS Pecan Porter reviews???

Old 11-13-2010, 09:30 PM   #1
sh00t
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default AHS Pecan Porter reviews???

just planning my next brew and the AHS Pecan Porter mini mash has got my attention but I don't know how much I like using extract flavoring??? Had a raspberry beer that used extract raspberry flavor and it ruined the beer... Has anyone made/drank this kit?
Thanks in advance

Old 11-13-2010, 10:03 PM   #2
MrBungle
Recipes 

considering they just added it to the site like 4 days ago, I doubt it. this one definitely caught my attention though.

Old 11-19-2010, 10:23 PM   #3
sh00t
Recipes 

Ok so I went ahead and ordered this kit, mini-mash with White Labs yeast............ so i guess in just over a month I'll post a review But if anyone else wants to in the mean time, I would be extremely interested in your thoughts!

Old 12-10-2010, 09:41 PM   #4
Sammy75
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Wonder if it's based on (512)'s pecan porter. That'd be great if so.

Old 12-10-2010, 10:47 PM   #5
troub
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Spent Thanksgiving in Alabama, and Pecan beer was all over the place down there this year. I didn't get up the nerve to buy a six of it to try it. This caught my eye, though, in terms of being Southern-themed for this year's Mardi Gras party...

If I was too apprehensive to pick up a six pack try, I don't see how I'll convince myself to make 5 gallons of it, though.

Old 12-10-2010, 11:27 PM   #6
JeffersonJ
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by troub View Post
Spent Thanksgiving in Alabama, and Pecan beer was all over the place down there this year. I didn't get up the nerve to buy a six of it to try it. This caught my eye, though, in terms of being Southern-themed for this year's Mardi Gras party...

If I was too apprehensive to pick up a six pack try, I don't see how I'll convince myself to make 5 gallons of it, though.
Too bad, the Lazy Magnolia Southern Pecan is a staple down here. Excellent session beer - only about 4% or 5% ABV. The pecan flavor is much more "natural" than many other similar beers, which I think use a pecan extract (I know Abita does). According to Lazy Magnolia's website:

"Southern Pecan Nut Brown Ale is the first beer in the world, to our knowledge, made with whole roasted pecans. The pecans are used just like grain and provide a nutty characteristic and a delightful depth to the flavor profile. This beer is very lightly hopped to allow the malty, caramel, and nutty flavors shine through. The color is dark mahogany. Southern Pecan won a Bronze Medal in the 2006 World Beer Cup in the Specialty Beer category."

Pick up a 6-pack next time you're down here!

Old 12-11-2010, 12:39 AM   #7
sh00t
Recipes 

No, it says they don't use an extract
Quote:
which I think use a pecan extract
Quote:
made with whole roasted pecans. The pecans are used just like grain
there is a post on here from a guy that chatted with a micro-brewer about how to use pecans *(u gott get the oil outta the nut first)* .... i'll edit this when I find it.....
I'm brewing the AHS Pecan Porter tomorrow... of course it has pecan extract & I hate extracts but so far AHS has impressed the **** outta me...so...i'm gonna do what they say to do..........

Old 12-11-2010, 01:44 AM   #8
devilishprune
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffersonJ View Post
Too bad, the Lazy Magnolia Southern Pecan is a staple down here. Excellent session beer - only about 4% or 5% ABV. The pecan flavor is much more "natural" than many other similar beers, which I think use a pecan extract (I know Abita does). According to Lazy Magnolia's website:

"Southern Pecan Nut Brown Ale is the first beer in the world, to our knowledge, made with whole roasted pecans. The pecans are used just like grain and provide a nutty characteristic and a delightful depth to the flavor profile. This beer is very lightly hopped to allow the malty, caramel, and nutty flavors shine through. The color is dark mahogany. Southern Pecan won a Bronze Medal in the 2006 World Beer Cup in the Specialty Beer category."

Pick up a 6-pack next time you're down here!
He said OTHER beers use extract, not Lazy Magnolia. There is a thread on here from a brewer from Lazy Magnolia that divulges crucial information on making a successful pecan beer. If I could find/think of that thread, I would post it here. I'm sure Revvy will roll in with that info sooner or later.

Old 12-11-2010, 01:47 AM   #9
starrfish
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Had a buddy age on dry pecan wood... came out nice but not big pecan flavor.

Interested on pecan extracts... not a big extract fan either... BUT anybody have a good one?

pecan stout or porter?

“Son, you are a walking violation of the laws of nature, but you’re lucky, we don't enforce them laws.”

Old 12-11-2010, 02:59 PM   #10
JeffersonJ
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilishprune View Post
He said OTHER beers use extract, not Lazy Magnolia. There is a thread on here from a brewer from Lazy Magnolia that divulges crucial information on making a successful pecan beer. If I could find/think of that thread, I would post it here. I'm sure Revvy will roll in with that info sooner or later.
Thanks for clearing up what I was trying to say. That thread you mention is here:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/lazy...n-pecan-58853/

See page 2 for some tips from a Lazy Magnolia worker. Also, Birmingham's LHBS, Alabrew, has clone kits of Lazy Magnolia Southern Pecan. I've never made it but I've heard it's pretty close. I also don't know if the clone recipe uses pecan extract or not.