Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > My first infection thread... please help me decipher these pictures

Old 11-13-2010, 02:42 PM   #1
Verio
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default My first infection thread... please help me decipher these pictures

Well, as the title states, I started my Apfelwein yesterday, mid-day... and didn't notice any fermentation signs until this morning. It's slowly starting to bubble from the airlock, 1 bubble every 3-4 minutes, but there's some nasty white stuff floating on top. When should I consider aborting the whole batch??

It looks totally different from my Wit brew, so its scary

Old 11-13-2010, 02:45 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2868 Times on 1696 Posts
Likes Given: 3510

That nasty stuff floating up to the surface is YEAST....it is beginning to form a krausen on top of your cider, and it ferments. It's going to get uglier looking...and be exactly what you want it to be.

Like this!!!!

Relax.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-13-2010, 02:50 PM   #3
Verio
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yay... thats what I wanted to hear. Thanks for the quick reply. I can go back to eating my breakfast tacos and hopefully a beer or 3 later today

Appreciate the quick response Revvy. My other batch looks like that pic you just posted, I guess I missed that part of the krausen forming while I was asleep on the first one.

Old 11-13-2010, 02:55 PM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2868 Times on 1696 Posts
Likes Given: 3510

Here is what you are missing....Timelapsed beer fermentation

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-13-2010, 04:41 PM   #5
Verio
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Wow, yeah... in just the last few hours, the full top of the carboy is filled with a foamy krausen now, instead of those yeast deposits. Amazing how fast that stuff grows.

Old 11-13-2010, 09:26 PM   #6
Coff
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 166 Times on 119 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Did you used Ed Wort's Apfelwein recipe? If so, I thought that it doesnt form a Krausen?

Old 11-13-2010, 09:40 PM   #7
Verio
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coff View Post
Did you used Ed Wort's Apfelwein recipe? If so, I thought that it doesnt form a Krausen?
Well... I did use Edworts recipe, but I got the yeast from one of the LHBS, and the place was rather sketchy. I wasn't sure how long the yeast had been in the store, so I wanted to make a starter. I bought some yeast starter (basically a small amount of DME) and pitched it in to my growler I had. Once I found out that my yeast was viable, I pitched it in to my secondary carboy with the apple juice.

While the krausen isn't very large at all, I believe the yeast starter allowed there to be a small krausen to form... but it's starting to go down now. It's just sort of foamy at the top, but the 5 gallon carboy was filled 95% of the way to the top, and the foam was nipping at the top. I'm watching it carefully to make sure I don't have need to scramble and find a blow off tube.

Worst case is, I'll use my siphoning tubing as a blowoff I think.

Old 11-13-2010, 09:43 PM   #8
ndsgr
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Have you gotten rhino farts yet? I thought people where just being dramatic. They weren't.

Old 11-13-2010, 09:57 PM   #9
Verio
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

No, no Rhino Farts yet

Old 11-13-2010, 11:28 PM   #10
funkswing
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I guess the kraeusen is there because of the malt in the extract. If its just apple juice and sugar then there should be much of a "head" formed.