Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Stupidest thing you ever did brew related

Old 11-11-2010, 08:55 PM   #1
sportscrazed2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Stupidest thing you ever did brew related

I just decided to test the turkey fryer I just assembled. and didn't know the flame was set to high and almost burnt my eye brown off. what is the stupidest thing you ever did?

Old 11-11-2010, 09:00 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 5938 Times on 4233 Posts
Likes Given: 1515

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportscrazed2 View Post
I just decided to test the turkey fryer I just assembled. and didn't know the flame was set to high and almost burnt my eye brown off. what is the stupidest thing you ever did?
Two weeks ago, I opened my MLT as I was filling it from the sparge arm at the top, sending 180 degree water all over my chest. I had blisters on my boobies, because of the second degree burns.

Don't worry, though- the beer is fine.

I've also left ballvalves open, sending fresh wort all over the kitchen floor. Oh, and one time I was filling a 10 gallon cooler with water from the wort chiller, and I walked away. I filled the entire first floor of my house with water. I heard a strange "waterfall" sound, and walked in to find water cascading beautifully down my basement steps.

There are probably lots more, but I don't to talk about it any more.

Follow me on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 11-11-2010, 09:03 PM   #3
BendBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Waiting until I was 38 to start.

Almost burned your brown eye? Ouch.

Old 11-11-2010, 09:03 PM   #4
Frodo
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper_Brew View Post
I had blisters on my boobies, because of the second degree burns.

Don't worry, though- the beer is fine.
Well that's good to hear.

Old 11-11-2010, 09:05 PM   #5
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2868 Times on 1696 Posts
Likes Given: 3510

I set my bottling bucket on the floor, dumped in my priming solution and started racking my beer into the bucket, then went into the bedroom to surf HBT while it racked over, planning to check back in 20 minutes or so. I decided I needed another beer about 7 minutes into the process to find the spigot was open and there was probably a gallon of beer soaking into my carpet. Now I have color coded open with paint so I can quickly make sure.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-11-2010, 09:10 PM   #6
thebigt85
Recipes 

2 weeks ago when I was adding a second tap to my kegerator, I connected the keg (which was under pressure) before putting on the tap, sending beer flying clear across the room in a straight line. It just missed my cat and he wouldn't come out from under the couch for a good hour

Old 11-11-2010, 09:11 PM   #7
Frodo
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 17

I just did a stupid thing (probably not the dumbest - done too many dumb things to even try to figure out the dumbest). I just decanted off a starter (multiplying a vial of yeast x3 for a couple upcoming brews), and figured since it seemed like such a waste to dump the 2.5 Liters of spent wort down the drain like I usually do (after sampling to remind myself how nasty it is) that I should try to do something with it... So it threw it in a pan, added some hops that have been in the freezer for a while and were destined for the garbage anyway. So after boiling for 20 min or so, the house now stinks like... I can't even describe it. It's disgusting. Now I have all the windows open and trying to air this place out. That's today's stupid thing; what will I do tomorrow I wonder??

EDIT: Well, thinking about it I think the dumbest thing would be trying to release the pressure on a party pig after it was empty, and not being able to get anything sharp into the neck area to pop the bag from inside (like the directions said). So I loosened the screws on the neck a bit more trying to make some space, then BAM! All the little pieces were suddenly gone including the screwdriver. It took 2 days just to find the screwdriver. That was the first and only time I've used that friggin pig. Maybe I'll give it another shot one of these days...

Old 11-11-2010, 09:18 PM   #8
AZ_IPA
PKU
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6884 Times on 5846 Posts
Likes Given: 1109

I was carrying my 15 gallon BK down the stairs on the back patio to dump the hop sludge. Slipped on the stairs and landed on my coccyx. Luckily I held tight on the BK...

My coccyx still has a nasty bruise....

I called that beer "Failbone IIPA"

Old 11-11-2010, 09:29 PM   #9
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4686 Times on 2803 Posts
Likes Given: 3957

Used to float my boil pot in the pool with a pool noodle for chilling. Well, the rain started coming down so I ran outside to get that dang thing out of the pool and found it floating out in the middle of the pool and after some scrambling and cursing I pulled it in with the pool cleaner pole, and consequently got loads of rain and pool water into the beer. Could have ended much worse; no infection resulted.

I got smart (?) later and would hang an IC in there which kept it from floating away. Then I got way smarter and got a plate chiller. (but that was after I broke a full glass carboy in same pool, so I actually think I got dumber before I got smarter... but alas I digress).

Here's a pic from my middle-dumb-days for the picture nazis...

People Like This 
Old 11-11-2010, 09:30 PM   #10
HoppyMaltPoet
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Stupidest thing was a bottling bucket mishap.

It was the summer of 2002, renting my first apartment in a converted garage. It was my first homebrew. I siphoned from my primary into my bottling bucket and when I went to bottle instead of opening the spigot I somehow remove the spigot...I do not remember how I did not stick my hand in the bucket and remove the nut and seal, but I somehow managed it (although I may have been heavily intoxicated), but I just remember the spigot popping off in my hand, the nut and seal floated back into the beer and became unusable and about a gallon of beer emptied from my tabletop onto my kitchen / living room combo floor. I was able to get (I think) primary bucket back under and empty and reseal and re-bottle.

Beer ended up being fine. I remember drinking the whole batch with 3 of my friends.