Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Estimating Yeast Density without a microscope
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2010, 02:23 AM   #1
Corosis
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Rochester, MN
Posts: 25
Default Estimating Yeast Density without a microscope

Ok, so I just started rinsing my yeast, and am trying to figure out how to know how much yeast I have. Is there any guidelines for how much yeast is in a compacted layer at the bottom of the storage bottle in my fridge by the volume of the yeast? my LHBS doesn't sell white labs yeast, so I can't compare slurry to their vials.

Any ideas?


Corosis is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 03:58 AM   #2
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Saccharomyces's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Pflugerville, Texas
Posts: 5,444
Liked 96 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

1mL of yeast slurry is about 1 billion cells. That is of course assuming the sediment is pure yeast! In a re-pitch scenario, about 25% of the slurry is yeast, and the other 75% is proteins, dead yeast, hops and other junk, so you want to count 4mL as 1 billion cells. After washing, you can count on 2mL as 1 billion cells. Assuming it is freshly harvested! Yeast mortality rate is about 50% after only two weeks so re-pitch right away.

From there, count on pitching 100 million cells per liter per degree plato of wort for ales, or 200 million cells per liter per degree plato for lagers. In a typical 5 gallon batch of 1.060 wort, this would be about 500mL of washed yeast (after decanting).
__________________
[How to Calculate Mash Efficiency | Do I Need a Yeast Starter? | My Ghetto Fermentation Chamber | Twitter | 6 Gal. HDPE Fermenters | Slanting Yeast | No Sparge Brewing]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soperbrew
big brother only monitors facebook and untappd
Saccharomyces is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 04:03 AM   #3
lumpher
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: texas
Posts: 4,536
Liked 126 Times on 114 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Default

i just pitch it, and if it bubbles, it's good
__________________
Taps:
1: APA 2: Notso Mild 3: Hefe 4: Belgian Dark Strong
5: Barkshack Mead 6: Cabernet Wine
Fermenting: APA
lumpher is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
London Ale Yeast vs British Whitbread Ale Yeast for brown ale Grantman1 Fermentation & Yeast 2 11-02-2010 03:14 AM
Can i wash yeast from a starter of High Fluccuating yeast? GLoBaLReBeL Fermentation & Yeast 4 06-03-2010 12:00 AM
One package of yeast for multiple brews....yeast propagation MonkeyWrench Fermentation & Yeast 10 02-17-2010 08:51 PM
Another Yeast Harvesting Question...Trappist Yeast This Time kjung Fermentation & Yeast 1 02-15-2010 07:24 PM
Yeast Slanting Questions - Expired Yeast and Cider DKershner Fermentation & Yeast 5 01-18-2010 05:09 PM


Forum Jump

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS