Ss Brewtech’s Biggest Baddest Holiday Giveaway Ever!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Mulling spices for beer
Old 11-09-2010, 11:15 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Mulling spices for beer

Of course I know of spiced beer, but has anyone tried spices that you would used to make mulled wine for beer?. I am not talking about making hot mulled beer but spicing beer with these spices. I have mulling sachets I thought could be steeped during fermentation or the boil. The spices in the ingredient list are these: cinnamon chips, orange peel, cloves, allspice, pure orange oil. What, if any, style of beer would be compatible with these spices?

Old 11-10-2010, 12:42 AM   #2
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I would say nothing too hoppy and something with a relatively clean taste. Something that will allow the spices to shine through. Any recipe for a winter warmer-type brew, or even a pumpkin ale (remove the orange oil and in most recipes the peel, and you have pumpkin spice). Just be careful with the amount you add as, with spices, a little goes a long way. Edit: Depending on the amount of oil, it may or may not do a number on your head retention.
Old 11-10-2010, 06:05 PM   #3

I brew a winter ale with 1 tsp each of cinnamon, ginger, and cardamom, and add in whole cloves and bitter orange peel. I can post the all-grain recipe if you like, but without knowing the amount of spices in the sachets, it may take a few experiments to get the taste you want.