Adding Honey - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Adding Honey
Cool Brewing Giveaway - Supporting Membership Drive & Discount

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2007, 10:49 PM   #1
daburke
Recipes 
 
Jan 2007
Posts: 4


I'm wondering what the process of adding honey is like. Would it be "wrong" to add it to a Sierra Pale Ale?



 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 01:48 AM   #2
david_42
 
david_42's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Oct 2005
Willamina & Oak Grove, Oregon, USA
Posts: 25,576
Liked 148 Times on 139 Posts


Honey doesn't do much in most ales except provide an expensive ABV boost. It might work, one can only try. Split a batch and add some honey to part of it.


__________________
Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 03:29 AM   #3
Cool Hand
Recipes 
 
Dec 2006
Posts: 80

I added a cup of honey to a 2.5 gal Mr. Beer west coast pale ale brew 3 weeks ago. It's been in the bottle for one of those weeks and I'm tempted to taste this weekend, only 1 of course.
__________________
Sometimes nothin can be a real cool hand.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 03:39 AM   #4
Torchiest
 
Torchiest's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Nov 2006
Houston, TX
Posts: 1,759
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts


Adding honey will give you a very weak honey aroma, and even less flavor. It is almost 100% fermentable, and will make your beer lighter bodied and drier. If you want a honey flavor, use honey malt. If you want to use honey, just add it at the same time you add LME if doing extract, or before adding hops if doing all grain.
__________________
WORLD DOMINATION BEER
Kegged
#48 Black Helicopter Porter #49 Pikemen Porter
Up Next:
#50 Imperious IPA
#51 Razz Buried

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 06:12 AM   #5
Kayos
Recipes 
 
Dec 2006
Santa Clarita, SoCal
Posts: 1,366
Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Torchiest
Adding honey will give you a very weak honey aroma, and even less flavor. It is almost 100% fermentable, and will make your beer lighter bodied and drier. If you want a honey flavor, use honey malt. If you want to use honey, just add it at the same time you add LME if doing extract, or before adding hops if doing all grain.
I was told honey should be added at the very end of the boil. It is sterile by nature and if boiled loses it's flavor. Is this true?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 05:37 PM   #6
Daburban
Recipes 
 
Jan 2007
Burlington VT
Posts: 35

I've heard the samething Kayos. Add later in the boil so you can keep the flavor. Anyone have a good recipe for honey?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 05:48 PM   #7
Cheesefood
Recipes 
 
Jul 2005
Poo-Poo Land
Posts: 6,741
Liked 39 Times on 27 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Daburban
I've heard the samething Kayos. Add later in the boil so you can keep the flavor. Anyone have a good recipe for honey?
Look in the mead makers forum for some good uses of honey.

Honestly, what's been said is true: honey added to wort doesn't make it taste like honey. Honey is better off being added to fruit juices to balance out the sweetness since it ends up so dry. But as to the question of not cooking it, many meaders recommend against boiling it or even heating it past 150.

As always, it's better to learn by your own experience than just listening to the advice of others.
__________________
Past Winners: Caramel Cream Ale #1, Hoegaarden Clone, Boom-Boom Vanilla Ale, Lazy Monk Abbey Style, Amarillo Cream Ale. (AG),

Buy a shirt now!!! Please! Did I help you? Buya shirt!
Cool Shirts.



 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 06:55 PM   #8
mbreen01
Recipes 
 
May 2006
Grand Junction, CO
Posts: 136

As mentioned before, honey is almost completely fermentable and so it tends to give you a very dry alcohol addition and really doesn't contribute to a honey flavor in the end product. Gambrinus honey malt will give you more of the honey flavor you might be looking for. I recently made a honey wheat beer that used 2 lbs honey with 1/2 lb honey malt. I also added 4 oz carapils to counteract the dryness from the honey.

So if you wanted to add a little honey flavor to a SNPA recipe, then I'd suggest adding 1/4 lb. honey malt and work from there. Keep in mind for extract recipes, any honey addition is going to increase OG, while addition of honey malt to steeped grains won't really contribute any meaningful fermentable sugars.

As far as timing of honey addition, there are several ways to do it and each has their own advantages/disadvantages. Boiling any aromatic/volatile compound will result in lower levels in the end product. However, honey has wild yeast, bacteria, insect parts, etc. that would require some form of sterilization. So you can add it at the boil, you can pasteurize separately and then add to wort, or my preference is to add the honey at flameout. As mentioned before, learning by experience will be way more informative than reading about other people's preferences. Good luck!

Marc.
__________________
Primary: patiently waiting
Secondary: empty, DOPE!
Bottled but green: it's all drinkable!
On tap & enjoying: Honey Wheat; Cheese's Caramel Cream Ale
Gone with a belch: Bock Talkit; Three Kings Better Bitter; Quake & Bake Oatmeal Stout; High Altitude Pale Ale
On deck: Garbage Pale Ale; Honey Wheat

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 07:22 PM   #9
idkid
Recipes 
 
Jan 2007
Lexington, Virginia
Posts: 131

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Hand
I added a cup of honey to a 2.5 gal Mr. Beer west coast pale ale brew 3 weeks ago. It's been in the bottle for one of those weeks and I'm tempted to taste this weekend, only 1 of course.
I did the same exact thing (well, a little less honey) and the Beer turned out great. Mine still aren't truly finished conditioning, but the temptation was too great so I actually threw one into the freezer, got it good and cold, and the taste was great. My base recipe was the American Light from Mr. Beer. I also added regular table sugar (not much of a American light beer fan and this was purchased by my father-in-law so I was being experimental). The taste was fantastic. Very sweet. I'm not sure what exactly contributed to the sweetness but it tasted really good.
__________________
Tiocfaidh Ar La

"I kissed the bottle, I shoulda been kissin' you"-jawbreaker

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 09:11 PM   #10
Cool Hand
Recipes 
 
Dec 2006
Posts: 80

Quote:
Originally Posted by idkid
I did the same exact thing (well, a little less honey) and the Beer turned out great. Mine still aren't truly finished conditioning, but the temptation was too great so I actually threw one into the freezer, got it good and cold, and the taste was great. My base recipe was the American Light from Mr. Beer. I also added regular table sugar (not much of a American light beer fan and this was purchased by my father-in-law so I was being experimental). The taste was fantastic. Very sweet. I'm not sure what exactly contributed to the sweetness but it tasted really good.
Yeah, I sampled one last night and the taste was fantastic although the carbonation wasn't really there. I guess it needs a few more weeks in the bottle.


__________________
Sometimes nothin can be a real cool hand.

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Adding honey malt to honey wheat beer? BK_BREWERY Recipes/Ingredients 5 10-03-2009 02:56 PM
When adding honey... dmbnpj Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 29 09-26-2009 12:13 AM
Adding Honey DtownRiot Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 3 12-24-2008 01:29 AM
adding honey rjdunlap2 Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 4 07-30-2008 02:02 PM
adding in honey rebelred Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 5 06-16-2006 05:38 PM


Forum Jump