Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Blichmann HopRocket First Use (with photos)

Old 01-07-2013, 06:56 AM   #21
LuiInIdaho
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ailstock
I just got a HopRocket for Christmas, and I was wondering since you aren't necessarily able to use pellet hops; has anyone used a hop sock attached to the end of the hose coming out the HR into your chiller so you could use pellets as well?
I'm just wondering cause I would like to be able to use a combination of both whole cone and pellets.
I think I understand what you mean but I am confused. I don't know how you would run the hose into the hop sock after the HR and then into your chiller. I assume you have a plate chiller or cfc. As I understand the setup, the hose runs from the out side of the hop rocket directly into the chiller. I don't know where or how you would ass the hop sock. I would just use whole hops.

Mark

Old 01-07-2013, 08:33 PM   #22
Ailstock
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Well I don't have a plate chiller yet. I still haven't used my hop rocket. My idea was to have it be pumped from the boil kettle, through the hop rocket, then into another kettle where I will chill it with my copper coil for the time being.
So my idea was to have the opening of the hop sock tied/clamped to the end of the hose that comes out of the hop rocket.
I know it sounds unpractical.

Old 01-07-2013, 08:39 PM   #23
Ailstock
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuiInIdaho View Post
I think I understand what you mean but I am confused. I don't know how you would run the hose into the hop sock after the HR and then into your chiller. I assume you have a plate chiller or cfc. As I understand the setup, the hose runs from the out side of the hop rocket directly into the chiller. I don't know where or how you would ass the hop sock. I would just use whole hops.

Mark
So that idea came from this video from The Alchemist brewery

If you pause it at :26 it kind of looks like that's what he is doing.

Old 01-07-2013, 09:11 PM   #24
LuiInIdaho

Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 25

That explanation makes sense.

Old 04-22-2013, 03:29 PM   #25
dermotstratton
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I just made a new thread with question about hop rocket and subsequently found this one . . .

To OP, do you know approximately how much wort you are losing when using hop rocket? I used 4 oz of whole leaf hops and think I lost ~ a gallon of wort in the process. My tubing (1/2" ID) from BK to pump is about 2-3 feet, from pump to Hop Rocket is about 1 foot, from hop rocket to chiller is about 1 foot and from chiller to fermenter is about 5-6 feet.

I think one of my biggest problems is that I'm leaving lots of wort in the chiller. Any tips on how you minimize losses in your setup?