Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Keg Mystery! Please Help
Old 11-07-2010, 07:27 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Keg Mystery! Please Help

My dad found this empty keg, which actually had a little bit of beer in it. I have nothing in terms of kegging equipment except this one keg. I'm wondering if this make or model is suitable for kegging homebrew beer and, if so, what equipment will I need to get this particular keg into operation. (I'm concerned with the attachments i'll need to put beer in, clean the keg out, pressurize it, and, of course, draw draft beer from it)

Thanks in advance!
See pic below

Old 11-07-2010, 07:52 PM   #2
Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

You can, but...it would make a nice kettle.
Here are some Canadian resources.

Old 11-07-2010, 07:53 PM   #3
Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts

Good score turn that sucka into a keggle!
PRIMARY: Quartermaster Bay House Ale,Trunk Monkey Chocolate Milk Stout
NEXT UP: Praetorian Smoked IPA
KEGGED: MK Ultra Cascadian Dark Ale, 10 & Everett Wit

If you're in trouble, if no one else can help, and if you can find them....Then maybe you can hire.... THE A TEAM!

Originally Posted by AZ_IPA View Post
I certainly hope they won't give me a hand job to see if I have a bomb tied to my junk .
Old 11-07-2010, 08:00 PM   #4
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 12

You can keg homebrew in it, but the volume is likely 15 gallons (3 times more than the typical batch).

Most people that acquire those use them for a brew kettle by cutting off the top.
Old 11-07-2010, 09:06 PM   #5

Cant be positive, but from what I see it is a 1/6th barrel. They are 5.1 gallons and I use them quite a bit for kegging. You will need a sanke coupler (verify type), faucet (cobra tap or faucet & shank), co2 tank, regulator, beverage & gas line, and misc connectors. If you are going to get into kegging I use these tailpieces on my coupler so I can easily change between sanke kegs and corny kegs with quick disconnects. You need to take out the spiral retaining ring to get the spear out of the keg, make sure it is not pressurized. Then you can clean keg by by putting in a cleaner like PBW or oxyclean, sanitize, fill with beer, reassemble, purge air out and you are ready. No special tools are needed and with a little practice you will be able to disassemble and or reassemble in less then a minute.