Grolsch bottles? - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Grolsch bottles?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2007, 04:30 PM   #1
deejay
Recipes 
 
Sep 2006
Posts: 2


just saw a commercial for the swing top on the grolsch bottles. I was wondering if anybody has tried to reuse these and what kind of results they had.



 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 04:32 PM   #2
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png
 
Yuri_Rage's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jul 2006
Southwest
Posts: 14,274
Liked 792 Times on 505 Posts


They rock. The holy grail of homebrew bottles. Sometimes the beer inside them is even palatable if it hasn't skunked.


__________________
Homebrewed Blog..........YouTube Channel .......... Shirts, posters, etc

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 04:35 PM   #3
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
the_bird's Avatar
Recipes 
 
May 2006
Adams, MA
Posts: 20,873
Liked 519 Times on 418 Posts


I wonder; what percentage of Grolsch sales are to homebrewers, who just want the bottles?
__________________
Come join Yankee Ingenuity!

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 04:37 PM   #4
homebrewer_99
 
homebrewer_99's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2005
Atkinson (near the Quad Cities), IL
Posts: 17,792
Liked 131 Times on 98 Posts


I have 88 Grolsch bottles and even more than that in German flippies.

I've been usig them for years.
__________________
HB Bill


 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 04:48 PM   #5
trinitone
 
trinitone's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Sep 2006
Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 417

They're 95% of what I bottle in. The other 5% is 1 liter flip tops. And yes, I have purchased cases of Grolsch, drank the beer, and am now using the bottles.
__________________
Planning: Ned's Red (Flanders style)
Primary: Niet
Secondary 1: Cripple Kriek (a 'pseudo' cherry lambic)
Secondary 2: Monk's Tripel...
Bottled: Dark Star Brown Ale, Watership Stout, Yet to be named cider

Well... a person can work up a mean, mean thirst after a hard day of nothing much at all.

This kind of an area is the best place for survival because you do have good, basically intelligent, hard working, decent people and they're all armed to the teeth... and that's my kind of people.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 05:12 PM   #6
Brewing Clamper
 
Brewing Clamper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Apr 2006
Union City, CA
Posts: 2,846
Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by trinitone
They're 95% of what I bottle in. The other 5% is 1 liter flip tops. And yes, I have purchased cases of Grolsch, drank the beer, and am now using the bottles.
I seem to only be able to find the green bottles. I know that's not really a problem with proper storage but I do like the brown ones better.... dunno why...
__________________
--Omar

4 Ohms Aleworks & Lagers | Twitter | Facebook | Blog |

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 05:28 PM   #7
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2006
UP of Michigan, Winter Texan
Posts: 69,012
Liked 7603 Times on 5351 Posts


The LHBS tend to have brown EZ cap bottles- but I think they're about $19 a case, with 16 in a case. I just use the green Grolsch bottles and keep them out of the light. I have about 150 or so Grolsch bottles. I bottle a few in regular bottles, just to have on hand for beer swaps and gifts when I don't think I'm going to get the bottles back.

Lorena
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 03:54 PM   #8
abracadabra
 
abracadabra's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2006
Newnan, Georgia
Posts: 1,923
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts


The bottles are the only reason I can think of to buy that beer. It's terrible down here in the south. Maybe it fresher in other parts of the US or maybe they know how it should be stored elsewhere. Maybe the distributor in Atlanta just doesn't care. But down here it's barely drinkable


 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 03:59 PM   #9
FlyGuy
 
FlyGuy's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2007
Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 3,605
Liked 178 Times on 51 Posts


I have over 400 Grolsch bottles that I got from our local bottle return depot. They are awesome, as long as you keep them out of the light.

What I love most about them is the time they save me when it comes time to bottle. With every homebrew I drink, I wash the bottle immediately (just with a bottle washer) and then pour in some Star-San solution, recap, shake it up, and put it away in a closed container. When it comes bottling day, I just give the bottles a good rinse inside and out, and I am ready to go!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 04:19 PM   #10
rdwj
 
rdwj's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2006
Plainfield, IL
Posts: 4,577
Liked 35 Times on 25 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by nkonkie
The bottles are the only reason I can think of to buy that beer. It's terrible down here in the south. Maybe it fresher in other parts of the US or maybe they know how it should be stored elsewhere. Maybe the distributor in Atlanta just doesn't care. But down here it's barely drinkable
I've yet to have a Grolsch that wasn't skunked.


__________________
On Tap: Whatever I just brewed (got sick of updating it)

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Grolsch Bottles jspence1 Bottling/Kegging 21 02-17-2014 12:59 AM
Grolsch bottles Ol' Grog Bottling/Kegging 17 09-28-2006 08:36 PM
more than 200 grolsch bottles for $100 newfie Equipment/Sanitation 13 09-06-2006 04:22 PM
Grolsch bottles mworkman Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 13 02-03-2006 06:01 PM
grolsch bottles Mark79 Bottling/Kegging 27 10-19-2005 09:23 PM


Forum Jump