Celebration Clone Water - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brew Science > Celebration Clone Water

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2010, 05:06 PM   #1
Dog House Brew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
Dog House Brew's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2008
Indiana
Posts: 1,039
Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts



I've some real harshness in my IPA beers in the past. I've read Kai's and Palmer's info and have used the water profiler sheets as well as EZ. Hopefully someone can tell me if I'm in the right direction.

Starting Water: Ca 60 Mg 16 Cl 39 Na 26 SO4-S 16 HCO3 184
Total Hardnes CACO3 217 Total Alkalinity CACO3 150

I'm diluting with 70% Distilled (for 12.5 gl batch w 11.74 strike 5.67 sparge) and came up with these additions:

12g CaSO4 8.77g CaCl 2g MaSO4 2.31 NaCl To get this profile

Ca 133 Mg 10 Na 29 Cl 138 SO4 183 Cl to SO4 ratio .76 est mash 5.34

SRM is 9.9 32.37lb total grain, 30.1 2-row, 2.4 Crystal 60, 68 IBU

Am I on the right track? Thanks and one day I hope to get water all figured out.
__________________
Are You Going to Drink all That?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 06:01 PM   #2
ajdelange
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 
 
Aug 2010
McLean/Ogden, Virginia/Quebec
Posts: 9,033
Liked 1402 Times on 1069 Posts


That's a lot of sulfate which may be the problem. I'd start out with 1/3 that amount or less. You might want to look at the first sticky in Brew Science.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 06:18 PM   #3
Dog House Brew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
Dog House Brew's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2008
Indiana
Posts: 1,039
Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts


readjusted my water to this: 70% Distilled

Ca-84
Mg-11
Na-31
Cl-100
SO4-124
Alkalinity CaCO3-45
Residual Alkalinity- -22

Brewing it next weekend. These numbers suggested by another brewer. Hope it works out or 12.5 gallons will be drank with bitter beer face.
__________________
Are You Going to Drink all That?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 08:47 PM   #4
funkswing
Recipes 
 
Nov 2009
Athens, Georgia
Posts: 480
Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts


Its most def. the sulfate that is giving you the overly bitter beers, b/c 68 IBUs is right for that beer (OG is prolly 1.066-1.070, right?).

I also think your Cl levels are high. I'm guessing you are trying to keep some type of Cl:SO4 ratio, but I don't know if that is necessary. I would personally just not add the NaCl, and just add gypsum additions. Start with just the gypsum and that way you can know what that does to your beers. Then start adding NaCl and whatnot if you really want to/think you need to.

You are doing the right thing by diluting your water with distilled water, because you have a lot of carbonates (hardness, alkalinity). But I would start simple and work your way up, so you can gauge what your water alterations are actually doing to your beer.
__________________
Homebrew Blog (Recipes)

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 08:59 PM   #5
KingBrianI
 
KingBrianI's Avatar
Recipes 
 
May 2008
Durham, NC
Posts: 3,514
Liked 108 Times on 69 Posts


I contacted Sierra Nevada about their water earlier this year when I began trying to clone SNCA. One of the brewers responded with this:

We use a very large addition of Calcium Sulfate to Calcium Chloride addition. Mash sees all the chloride and most of the sulfate but some is also added to the boil kettle. It works out 9:1 Sulfate to Chloride.

I went with that in my second attempt at SNCA and the bitterness tasted very close.
__________________
I'm too lazy and have too many beers going to keep updating this!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 09:14 PM   #6
funkswing
Recipes 
 
Nov 2009
Athens, Georgia
Posts: 480
Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts


Nice info Brian. I know that they filter all their water and then add the salt additions. I have heard a lot about adding gyspum in the boil, but I haven't done that since my extract days.
__________________
Homebrew Blog (Recipes)

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 11:05 PM   #7
Dog House Brew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
Dog House Brew's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2008
Indiana
Posts: 1,039
Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by funkswing View Post
Its most def. the sulfate that is giving you the overly bitter beers, b/c 68 IBUs is right for that beer (OG is prolly 1.066-1.070, right?).

I also think your Cl levels are high. I'm guessing you are trying to keep some type of Cl:SO4 ratio, but I don't know if that is necessary. I would personally just not add the NaCl, and just add gypsum additions. Start with just the gypsum and that way you can know what that does to your beers. Then start adding NaCl and whatnot if you really want to/think you need to.

You are doing the right thing by diluting your water with distilled water, because you have a lot of carbonates (hardness, alkalinity). But I would start simple and work your way up, so you can gauge what your water alterations are actually doing to your beer.
Thanks for the feed back. This is the first time for salt additions for me. I had always dilluted my water. Now I know what it did to some of the things I needed for fermentation. I will drop my Na addition and most of the Cl, and yes I was trying to balance per Palmer. I used all his info to get these additions. And with what Brian added I can do exactly what you suggested. I guess what everyone says is true, less additions is better than too much. Thanks again
__________________
Are You Going to Drink all That?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 11:07 PM   #8
Dog House Brew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
Dog House Brew's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2008
Indiana
Posts: 1,039
Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBrianI View Post
I contacted Sierra Nevada about their water earlier this year when I began trying to clone SNCA. One of the brewers responded with this:

We use a very large addition of Calcium Sulfate to Calcium Chloride addition. Mash sees all the chloride and most of the sulfate but some is also added to the boil kettle. It works out 9:1 Sulfate to Chloride.

I went with that in my second attempt at SNCA and the bitterness tasted very close.
Thanks Brian, makes what I made up per Palmer, not in the ballpark. Thanks for the info. This is one I need to clone. Man does it eat my wallet this time of year.
__________________
Are You Going to Drink all That?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 11:16 PM   #9
KingBrianI
 
KingBrianI's Avatar
Recipes 
 
May 2008
Durham, NC
Posts: 3,514
Liked 108 Times on 69 Posts


I know what you mean. I bought a case the day it showed up here! Does it seem to have less hop aroma to you this year? (I know people say this every year but I swear it seems subdued this year!)
__________________
I'm too lazy and have too many beers going to keep updating this!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 11:18 PM   #10
-TH-
 
-TH-'s Avatar
Recipes 
 
Oct 2008
Zeeland, Michigan
Posts: 903
Liked 90 Times on 53 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog House Brew View Post
This is one I need to clone. Man does it eat my wallet this time of year.
BTW what recipe are you using? I am really digging the celebration right now too and I would like to make something similar.
__________________
TH

Builds, etc: E-Brewery | Pneumatic Bottle Capper | Fermentation Chamber | Stirplate | Bottle Cabinet
Water Spreadsheet: www.EZWaterCalculator.com

 
Reply With Quote


Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
North Penn Water Authority (Montgomery Co., PA) Water Report lebshiff21 Brew Science 11 04-30-2014 10:13 PM
Target Water Profile for Pliny the Elder Clone stevenryals Brew Science 21 03-05-2012 10:59 PM
Help with water adjustment for 14 SRM IPA (furious clone) SamuraiSquirrel Brew Science 5 10-22-2010 12:45 AM
IPA water recipe - adjusting high bicarbonate water conpewter Brew Science 19 10-01-2010 05:29 PM
Water Profile for Two Hearted Clone eschatz Brew Science 12 10-19-2009 06:30 PM


Forum Jump