Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > PID/SSR Smoker

Old 11-06-2010, 01:53 PM   #1
Layne
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Sep 2008
Gonzales, Louisiana
Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts

I have a friend that has a huge smoker on a trailer, that he'd like to make more automated.

I assume he could use a PID/SSR with some sort of thermocouple to set and turn on and off the propane burners much like we use them for turning on elements.
Yes?

Old 11-06-2010, 02:02 PM   #2
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Apr 2009
☼ Clearwater, FL ☼
Liked 6711 Times on 3965 Posts

Auber (PID company) sells a bunch of smoker-specific stuff. Also, do a Google search on those terms. There are forums out there with build threads to do exactly what you are looking for. I read through one lately where the guy's PID was connected to a computer fan which in turn regulated the smoker temp (somehow). That build thread had a huge number of pictures.

Old 11-06-2010, 02:50 PM   #3
EFaden
Recipes 

Jan 2006
Rochester, New York
Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Layne View Post
I have a friend that has a huge smoker on a trailer, that he'd like to make more automated.

I assume he could use a PID/SSR with some sort of thermocouple to set and turn on and off the propane burners much like we use them for turning on elements.
Yes?
Yep. I have seen a bunch of builds using all sorts of controllers.

Old 11-06-2010, 03:01 PM   #4
Layne
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Sep 2008
Gonzales, Louisiana
Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts

I figured as much.
I would have showed him my RIMS in a tool box, but sold it last week. That would have been easy for him to see, only need a gas control valve instead of electric element.