Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Ever heard of Moa?

Old 11-06-2010, 01:45 PM   #1
completegeek
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Ever heard of Moa?

A local specialty food shop has a small but diverse beer selection that I check out regularly. Last night I saw a beer called Moa. It's from New Zealand. Has anyone ever tried it before?

Their 5 hop ESB came in a 4 pack of 16 oz bottles for 21 bucks so I was thinking of giving it a try. I guess I'd call it a birthday present to myself.

If you have actually heard of this and tried it, what did you think?

Here's a link to their site http://www.moabeer.co.nz/

Old 11-06-2010, 10:44 PM   #2
Grizzlybrew
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts

We carry the red, black and blue where I used to work. I've had one but can't remember which one - unfortunately, it wasn't anything that special... Someone told me they use champagne yeast, but the beer is definitely not fully attenuated and the mouthfeel was only slightly softer than typical carbonation.

Old 11-06-2010, 11:44 PM   #3
kunstler
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Speights is a REAL new Zealand beer (south island) and because it's real nz beer they do not export it...at all.ever hear how wine in Australia is 10000% better than Aussie wine available in the states... Nz beer is the same

Old 11-07-2010, 12:13 AM   #4
martinworswick
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

they don't export speights because its crap, same as db,tui et al,its only marketing and rugby associations which sell the stuff, i really don't understand the undying loyalty to the brands either when in a blind taste test most people couldn't tell the difference between em,bland,insipid, they'd send the stuff back.

Old 11-07-2010, 04:10 AM   #5
abweatherley
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Not true about exporting NZ beer, they export steinlager which is a nasty lager. it's like they took an urquell recipe and brewed it at ale temps. The best NZ beer is Mac's Blonde or mac's Black.

Old 12-18-2013, 03:11 AM   #6
israelj
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Moa is awesome... we can only get a limited amount around christmas in the large bottles. They sell Moa for around $7 per bottle (small) at Whole Foods. Does anyone know the recipe?

Old 12-18-2013, 04:27 AM   #7
RainyDay
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I bought a bottle of Moa's Imperial Stout aged in Pinot Noir barrels. It's in the cellar now, but I look forward to drinking it when the time's right!