$10 Three way MFL manifold - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > $10 Three way MFL manifold

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2010, 01:55 AM   #1
akthor
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 
 
May 2010
Litchfield and Brownton, MN
Posts: 1,798
Liked 87 Times on 70 Posts



So I needed a manifold for my trashcan kegerator. I didn't want to take out the one in my "Carberator" since it's attached to a dual guage secondary regulator. But I did want to be able to use 3 of the gas disconnects which attach to the manifold and regulator with MFL fittings. I wanted to be able to take them off use them for the day in the trash can then put them back on fridge duty.

So I went to the local place that carries every nut/bolt/washer/fitting known to man.

For $10 and some teflon tape I assembled my manifold. Last picture shows a MFL connected to it.



__________________
LAKE MARION SOCIAL CLUB

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 02:23 AM   #2
Ohio-Ed
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Ohio-Ed's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Nov 2008
Posts: 2,067
Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts


Nice...

One minor upgrade might be to use check valves on the outputs. Example:
http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewin...eck-valve.html

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 02:29 AM   #3
akthor
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 
 
May 2010
Litchfield and Brownton, MN
Posts: 1,798
Liked 87 Times on 70 Posts


At some point I would like to put a check valve on the line to the regulator but no one sells them around here for under $30 (some sort of welding thing) so sometime when I do an internet order I will grab one.
__________________
LAKE MARION SOCIAL CLUB

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 03:15 AM   #4
Ohio-Ed
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Ohio-Ed's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Nov 2008
Posts: 2,067
Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by akthor View Post
At some point I would like to put a check valve on the line to the regulator but no one sells them around here for under $30 (some sort of welding thing) so sometime when I do an internet order I will grab one.
If it were me, I'd put one on each output... otherwise when you pull liquid from one keg, gas will equalize from your tank AND the other kegs.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 12:52 PM   #5
SweetSounds
 
SweetSounds's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2010
Des Moines, Iowa
Posts: 1,425
Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts


$2.49 1/4" MFL to 1/4" NPT with check valve FTW
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecnerwal View Post
What does the primary pressure gauge on the tank tell us? That's right, the temperature. Put it on a scale if you want to know how much is in it...
Put some duct tape over the gauge - Or better yet - Replace the high pressure gauge with a plug - High pressure gauges are useless!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 03:34 PM   #6
akthor
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 
 
May 2010
Litchfield and Brownton, MN
Posts: 1,798
Liked 87 Times on 70 Posts


I'm confused I thought the check valve was to keep beer from flowing back up the line and into your regulator in the pressures in your kegs got higher than in your CO2 tank????

... otherwise when you pull liquid from one keg, gas will equalize from your tank AND the other kegs. Why would this be an issue?
__________________
LAKE MARION SOCIAL CLUB

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 03:38 PM   #7
SweetSounds
 
SweetSounds's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2010
Des Moines, Iowa
Posts: 1,425
Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts


It can be.

I've had liquid pull into a gas line when I had a keg really full. It can happen.

When you pull from a keg, the pressure will drop. Without check valves, it'll equalize from the other kegs and the CO2 tank.
Not that that's a huge issue, but it's there.

I think $10 worth of check valves are a small price to pay to protect a $100 regulator.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecnerwal View Post
What does the primary pressure gauge on the tank tell us? That's right, the temperature. Put it on a scale if you want to know how much is in it...
Put some duct tape over the gauge - Or better yet - Replace the high pressure gauge with a plug - High pressure gauges are useless!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 03:40 PM   #8
Ohio-Ed
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Ohio-Ed's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Nov 2008
Posts: 2,067
Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by akthor View Post
I'm confused I thought the check valve was to keep beer from flowing back up the line and into your regulator in the pressures in your kegs got higher than in your CO2 tank????

... otherwise when you pull liquid from one keg, gas will equalize from your tank AND the other kegs. Why would this be an issue?
It does. It also, can prevent gas, or beer (if you jostle a keg and end up with beer in the gas line) from moving from keg to keg.

Not a huge worry (I said a "minor upgrade"), but I like the idea of isolating the kegs from each other. For $2.50 each, the check valves are a pretty small investment.

Ed

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 03:42 PM   #9
Ohio-Ed
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Ohio-Ed's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Nov 2008
Posts: 2,067
Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetSounds View Post
It can be.

I've had liquid pull into a gas line when I had a keg really full. It can happen.

When you pull from a keg, the pressure will drop. Without check valves, it'll equalize from the other kegs and the CO2 tank.
Not that that's a huge issue, but it's there.

I think $10 worth of check valves are a small price to pay to protect a $100 regulator.
Sweet... you looking over my shoulder as I type???

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 03:50 PM   #10
akthor
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 
 
May 2010
Litchfield and Brownton, MN
Posts: 1,798
Liked 87 Times on 70 Posts


These kegs aren't too full and I will be using a brand new, newly filled 5lb co2 tank. Will I be ok to distribute beer out of my trash can kegerator for like 8 hours with no worries.

I will get the check valves when I can in the future.
__________________
LAKE MARION SOCIAL CLUB

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
why do i need a co2 manifold? chainsawbrewing Bottling/Kegging 8 08-18-2009 04:58 PM
Co2 manifold redtail28 Bottling/Kegging 3 12-04-2008 10:39 PM
Scheming on a Manifold Evan! Bottling/Kegging 4 06-10-2008 09:25 PM
Gas manifold. Orfy Bottling/Kegging 5 01-20-2007 01:17 AM
CO2 Manifold Brewsmith Bottling/Kegging 16 05-20-2006 11:59 AM


Forum Jump