Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Blow off tube?

Old 11-03-2010, 01:22 AM   #1
Cheapspkrs111
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Blow off tube?

What is with this blow off tube thing? I have read people say they are actually losing beer because there is so much Krausen that it is blowing out! I've just had the pale ale or a better bottle and nothing even close. I just brewed two days ago and it is in a better bottle fermenting away. Looks like a snow globe with an inch of krausen but nothing to compare. Am I doing something wrong? What's the deal? I want blow off too!!!

Old 11-03-2010, 01:42 AM   #2
kevmoron
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

If you don't leave much headspace in the fermentor, you can certainly lose beer to blow off. I usually end up with 5.25 - 5.5 gal in a 6 gallon fermentor and almost always lose at least a little to blow off. This can be largely recovered if you go to the trouble of setting up a Burton Union system. I wish I had done this for the barleywine I recently brewed, as I actually lost about a gallon to blow off.

Factors leading to a more active fermentation and thus a greater chance of blowoff include better aeration, higher starting gravity, and higher pitching rates.

Old 11-03-2010, 03:12 AM   #3
AKbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevmoron View Post

Factors leading to a more active fermentation and thus a greater chance of blowoff include better aeration, higher starting gravity, and higher pitching rates.
Very true, the type of yeast is also a factor, for example I almost always get blowoff with 001 but almost never with 002.

Old 11-03-2010, 10:59 AM   #4
kevmoron
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKbrewer View Post
Very true, the type of yeast is also a factor, for example I almost always get blowoff with 001 but almost never with 002.
Absolutely. The craziest blowoff I ever had, aside from the barleywine I mentioned, was a hefeweizen. The OG was only 1.050 but that sucker went nuts.

Old 11-03-2010, 02:01 PM   #5
AmandaK
Recipes 

Liked 139 Times on 105 Posts
Likes Given: 24

+1 on the Hefe yeast. First time I used WYeast 3068, my 6 gallon fermentor with only 4 gallons in it nearly shot the airlock off.

Old 11-09-2010, 10:05 PM   #6
CaptKiRkLeS
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braufguss View Post
+1 on the Hefe yeast. First time I used WYeast 3068, my 6 gallon fermentor with only 4 gallons in it nearly shot the airlock off.
I used 3068 for my Dunkelweizen and thankfully I had my airlock on tight enough. It cracked the airlock and was spraying every few seconds. I was able to rig up a blow off with what I had on hand. My OG was about 1.047 but it went crazy. It was fun to watch and smells good now after the sulfer smell died down.

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy!

Old 11-09-2010, 10:27 PM   #7
LuckyRVA
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevmoron View Post

I had all 3 in my last batch of wort to go into my fermenter. The next morning I had krausen spewed all in my bowl of sanitizer. Luckily I used a blow-off.

Old 11-09-2010, 10:35 PM   #8
CaptainCoconut
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

My first 3, a bitter, a stout, and a brown ale didn't get more than 1-2 inches of krausen, not even close to blowing off. The 4th was a Graff, and that sucker was oozing out the airlock when I got home! I had a blow off tube for my glass carboy, but the Graff was in a Better Bottle, so my tube didn't fit! Luckily my siphon tube fit over the airlock hole, and it worked out fine, but I was panicked at the time.
Why would you ever want your beer to blow off? The only thing it's good for is losing beer.