stopping fermentation? - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > stopping fermentation?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2010, 08:15 PM   #1
KeithMoonsLiver
Recipes 
 
Jun 2010
NC
Posts: 149
Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts



A bit different than similar topics I found while searching- what would be the best way of permanently stopping the yeast mid-fermentation without significantly altering the chemical makeup of the beer? Wary of using heat for that reason. Beer does not need to be drinkable.



 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 08:31 PM   #2
maida7
Recipes 
 
Nov 2009
Asheville, NC
Posts: 2,827
Liked 48 Times on 41 Posts


I don't understand... your not gonna drink it?

Camden tablets will kill your yeast and stop the ferment. But why would you want to do that?



 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 08:34 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Revvy's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2007
"Detroitish" Michigan
Posts: 40,921
Liked 3180 Times on 1881 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by maida7 View Post
I don't understand... your not gonna drink it?

Camden tablets will kill your yeast and stop the ferment. But why would you want to do that?
I thought about cambden, but wouldn't that alter the chemical makeup of the beer?

Actually heat wouldn't, it would just evaporate the alcohol away...that wouldn't significantly change the beer.
__________________
Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 08:36 PM   #4
KeithMoonsLiver
Recipes 
 
Jun 2010
NC
Posts: 149
Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by maida7 View Post
I don't understand... your not gonna drink it?

Camden tablets will kill your yeast and stop the ferment. But why would you want to do that?
i'd like to take samples of a beer over its fermentation period plus a week or two afterwards, then measure the vicinal diketone levels and plot how it progresses over time. of course, if the yeast in the samples i take are still working it won't work.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 08:37 PM   #5
maida7
Recipes 
 
Nov 2009
Asheville, NC
Posts: 2,827
Liked 48 Times on 41 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
I thought about cambden, but wouldn't that alter the chemical makeup of the beer?

Actually heat wouldn't, it would just evaporate the alcohol away...that wouldn't significantly change the beer.
You see, I think removing the alcohol is a bigger change. But I may have different goals then the OP.

So really to give a good answer we need to know what your wanting to achieve

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 08:39 PM   #6
KeithMoonsLiver
Recipes 
 
Jun 2010
NC
Posts: 149
Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
I thought about cambden, but wouldn't that alter the chemical makeup of the beer?

Actually heat wouldn't, it would just evaporate the alcohol away...that wouldn't significantly change the beer.
i thought i had read that campden tablets wouldn't stop fermentation, only stop the yeast from reproducing, but maybe i am confusing that with potassium sorbate. the problem with heat is i think diacetyl will evaporate as well- but maybe i'm wrong.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 08:44 PM   #7
maida7
Recipes 
 
Nov 2009
Asheville, NC
Posts: 2,827
Liked 48 Times on 41 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithMoonsLiver View Post
i'd like to take samples of a beer over its fermentation period plus a week or two afterwards, then measure the vicinal diketone levels and plot how it progresses over time. of course, if the yeast in the samples i take are still working it won't work.
send Charlie Bamforth an email [email protected] He will probably be able to help you.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 08:46 PM   #8
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Revvy's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2007
"Detroitish" Michigan
Posts: 40,921
Liked 3180 Times on 1881 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithMoonsLiver View Post
i thought i had read that campden tablets wouldn't stop fermentation, only stop the yeast from reproducing, but maybe i am confusing that with potassium sorbate. the problem with heat is i think diacetyl will evaporate as well- but maybe i'm wrong.
I would think either cambden or sorbate or any chemical would alter the beer. But that's why trying to figure out your goal would be helpful.

But I'm not sure there is any way to truly stop the yeast without altering the beer. Except maybe killing the yeast off by having the attempt for ferment a high grav wort.
__________________
Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 08:46 PM   #9
jmansfield
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 
 
Oct 2008
Mount Vernon, IN
Posts: 84
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts


Chill it down below 35 F.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 08:50 PM   #10
KeithMoonsLiver
Recipes 
 
Jun 2010
NC
Posts: 149
Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
I would think either cambden or sorbate or any chemical would alter the beer. But that's why trying to figure out your goal would be helpful.

But I'm not sure there is any way to truly stop the yeast without altering the beer. Except maybe killing the yeast off by having the attempt for ferment a high grav wort.
"not alter" is probably the wrong term, I just meant that I didn't want to evaporate things by using heat.



 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Stopping fermentation pre-climax? SankePankey Fermentation & Yeast 3 07-23-2010 03:03 PM


Forum Jump