A fast extract brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sully14

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I'm looking to brew a 5 gallon extract batch for a holiday party i'm having on Dec.11. I'm going to brew this coming Saturday or Sunday (Nov. 6th or 7th), and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for a beer that would finish in just over a month. Also, I will be kegging and force carbing, so i won't need the bottle conditioning time.
I already have a Holiday spiced ale (Jamil's Ol' Yule Loggy) conditioning since late July, but wanted to have another beer to serve as well.

Any ideas on a quick one?

Thanks all,
Chris

A Pale Ale or an IPA would probably be good for fast turn around, and to serve people who aren't interested in something too heavy.

I'd do a wheat. The wheat beer I last did was fast and actually better young than aged. I used WLP 300 and tried to keep it on the warmer side for lots of banana flavors.

Thank you all for the suggestions.

Anyone have a tried and true recipe that they recommend?

Can a SMaSH recipe be done with extract?

Forrest, it's going to be a random mix of friends/family. Not really too sure what everyone would like, but i think everyone will be interested in at least tasting what will be on offer.
I would say for the beer drinkers in the crowd, they would range from PBR to Heineken to craft beer.
I just wanted to have another beer present to counter the heavier Holiday ale, but also one that i could have finished in time.

This is my extra pale ale that can be ready in 4 weeks and tastes great. Even my BMC-drinking friends enjoyed it.

6lbs Extra Light LME
1lb Carapils
5oz Caramel 40L
4oz Victory or Biscuit

1.5oz Amarillo @60 min
1oz Amarillo @15 min
1oz Amarillo @5 min
.5oz Amarillo @ flameout
Dry-hop 1oz Amarillo in secondary for 7 days

US-05 yeast

Add 20% of the extract at 60 minutes, and the remaining extract at 20 minutes. A really nice pale ale.

xtrahandsome.jpg

Thanks guys, i'll definitely be brewing both of these at some point, one of them this weekend. Heck maybe both, I love to have plenty on hand for myself, and an extra keg at a party sure isn't going to hurt.
I appreciate all the responses and suggestions.

Brown Ales & Milds ferment out pretty quick and are usually crowd pleasers even for people who say they "don't" like "Dark Beer"

This stout is always a hit with whatever audience I have over and a selling point for it is it is the lightest beer I make and keep stocked the next smallest beer is 7%. If partial mash is out of the question, just use a couple-three extra lbs of LME instead of the 2row. It finishes radically fast because of the low OG, which you could easily up by adding a little extra LME. I like to raise my mash temp at the end to a little over 160 to make some unfermentables to leave some residual sweetness, or you could add a little lactose.

LoCal Stout – Partial Mash

2 Row Malt – 4 lbs
Dark LME – 2 lb (Late Addition)
Dextrin – 1 lb
Chocolate Malt – 1 lb
Flaked Oats – 1 lb
Black Patent Malt – 8 oz
Roasted Barley – 4 oz
Cascade Pellet Hops – 2 oz (@ 30 min)
Irish Moss – 1 tbsp (@ 15 min)
Safale US-05 – 1 sachet

Corn Sugar – ¾ cup (priming)