Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Thinking of Skiping PM

Old 01-24-2007, 03:33 AM   #1
silver02ws6
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Thinking of Skiping PM

I have done 3 extract brews to date, and have done alot of review on the PM process as well as AG brewing. I thought at first i wanted to do PM. Yet the more i think about it the more i want to just go ahead and do all grain.

A friend of mine is wanting to get into brewing so i told him if he would provide at least an 8 gallon pot i would try to round up what few extra pieces we would need to just go ahead with some all grain batches.

I want to only do single infusion mash process to begin with, from what i understand from reading step mashing wouldnt be that much harder just little more attention to detail.

Anyone think im crazy for wanting to do this or should i just jump right in. It just doesnt seem that the process is all that hard just time consuming.

Let me know what you all grain guys/gals out there think.

austin

Old 01-24-2007, 03:41 AM   #2
JohnnyK68
Recipes 

In a way I dont blame you at all. I just got a mini mash tun and did a PM. Now I am sort of wishing I just got the AG equipment and went AG. Only thing is I dont have a basement or garage and cant use a propane burner in the house. So I will have to stay with PM in the winter and then switch to AG in the summer. It looked real intimedating at first but the more and more I read about it, I dont think it has to be that complicated.

Old 01-24-2007, 03:43 AM   #3
RichBrewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 123 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 102

If you think you are ready and don't mind the initial expense, I say go for it. I went AG after about 4 or 5 batches.

Old 01-24-2007, 03:56 AM   #4
Brewpilot
Recipes 

My first brew was an all grain, I say go all grain. It may seem daunting, but all you do is steep grains in hot water, drain the water, then boil. Temp control is a key, but there are so many formulas and calculators out there, shouldnt be an issue. You will love it, and I am proof that you can start with AG and be successful, ask SWMBO.

Brewpilot

Old 01-24-2007, 04:04 AM   #5
8string
Recipes 

My 12th batch was AG and only 4 months after my first brewing experience. I just jumped in with just a cooler and a SS braid. I had to hold down the rubbermaid factory spigot the whole time. But I learned more in my first attempt, than I could have sitting around reading these forums over and over. And now Im drinking my delicious first all grain bitter! Go for it!

Old 01-24-2007, 04:11 AM   #6
Brewpilot
Recipes 

You will undoubtably have some growing pains, but it is fun and it is HARD to screw up beer. Have fun with it!

Brewpilot

Old 01-24-2007, 04:16 AM   #7
Chairman Cheyco
***DRAMATIZATION***

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

I did a few PMs before making the big jump, and things went pretty smooth when I did. There's lots to learn.

Old 01-24-2007, 04:17 AM   #8
alemonkey
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

If you feel comfortable go for it. AG is a lot easier than some people think. I only did one or two PM's before switching to AG.

Old 01-24-2007, 04:50 AM   #9
boldone
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I only did one PM before going AG and that was because I did not have a pot big enough for a full boil. If you have everything to go AG, go for it, it is so worth it.
Kegged: empty
Drinking: Commercial Craft Brews :(

Old 01-24-2007, 04:57 AM   #10
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd

Recipes 

Liked 451 Times on 367 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by boldone
I only did on PM before going AG and that was because I did not have a pot big enough for a full boil. If you have everything to go AG, go for it, it is so worth it.
Me, too. I could only boil five gallons (barely that), so I did about eight pounds of grain and a couple pounds of DME.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

Jazz hands!