Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > corn sugar in kit?

Old 10-30-2010, 05:53 PM   #1
woopig
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default corn sugar in kit?

Newbie question here, just want to make sure I don't mess something up as this is one I'm especially looking forward to.

Ordered Waldo Lake Amber kit from Northern Brewer. As with all of their kits, it specifically says on the site that you need to order priming sugar separately; so I did so. I have ordered many kits from them, and this is always the case.

In this kit, however, I have two sugar packages: one small one that says "priming sugar", and a one pound package of "corn sugar." The priming is obviously the one I added to the kit, but what is the other one for? It's mentioned nowhere in the directions (except on the kit inventory list), so I'm assuming it's priming sugar and the instructions to order separately were a mistake.

That's the obvious answer, but I want to make sure I'm not overlooking something stupid.

Thanks

Old 10-30-2010, 06:05 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 5940 Times on 4235 Posts
Likes Given: 1516

Priming sugar generally comes in a 5 ounce package, which is about 3/4 of a cup.

A one pound package of corn sugar is part of the ingredients. You can add the extract as directed, and just add the corn sugar near the end of the boil. See directions, and take a look at item #6.

Follow me on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 10-30-2010, 06:16 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2868 Times on 1696 Posts
Likes Given: 3510

Now how do you know it's line 6 Yoop? Is YOUR brewing psychic ability working right now???? I'm impressed.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 10-30-2010, 06:22 PM   #4
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Now how do you know it's line 6 Yoop? Is YOUR brewing psychic ability working right now???? I'm impressed.
That, and the directions and ingredients are on the Northern Brewer website.

Old 10-30-2010, 06:26 PM   #5
woopig
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'll be damned. I read those instructions three times, guess I just skipped the end of that sentence when it started out with a hop addition. Thanks for your help, and for not calling me an idiot (or for at least not typing it out).

Old 10-30-2010, 07:03 PM   #6
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by woopig View Post
I'll be damned. I read those instructions three times, guess I just skipped the end of that sentence when it started out with a hop addition. Thanks for your help, and for not calling me an idiot (or for at least not typing it out).
I think the instructions about the corn sugar are pretty well hidden- I was just looking for it at the end of the boil, that's how I spotted it.

Northern Brewer is "famous" for it's great instructions, so I read it pretty carefully to see where the corn sugar went in. I'd put it in at the end of the boil, too, so I looked there first.

Old 10-30-2010, 07:36 PM   #7
Banjoman76
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper_Brew View Post
I think the instructions about the corn sugar are pretty well hidden- I was just looking for it at the end of the boil, that's how I spotted it.

Northern Brewer is "famous" for it's great instructions, so I read it pretty carefully to see where the corn sugar went in. I'd put it in at the end of the boil, too, so I looked there first.
Can't get nothing past those pasty lovers
I usually lay out my NB or Midwest kits in their proper steps to make sure I have all the ingredients... when I do make an extract batch.

BEER is the Answer...
Unless you're filling out a medical history form or a job application