Apple juice with added vitamin C

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

howit

Reaction score
Hello,

I want to make edwort's apfelwein recipe but i cant seem to find any any apple juice in my area that doesn't seem to apple juice with added vitamin C. Can i still use that apple juice and get close to the same results or could the ascorbic acid (vitamin C) change the results?

Thanks in advance for the help

I just did some apple juice that listed the only additive as ascorbic acid. Here is what I got:

I added sugar to get the SG to 1.168 (just to see what turbo yeast could tolerate)
9 days later i measured the SG at 1.143
day 13 --------------------------1.130
Then it stopped for about another 2 week now. Still at 1.130, it won't ferment any more even with additional yeast. I know turbo is supposed to last up to 20%+ alcohol levels. This is around 5% ABV. So... Not sure what I could've done wrong.
Any ideas?

Sounds like a stuck fermentation. I'd add some dissolved yeast nutrient in some warm water, that's what usually gets mine going again.

I just did some apple juice that listed the only additive as ascorbic acid. Here is what I got:

I added sugar to get the SG to 1.168 (just to see what turbo yeast could tolerate)
9 days later i measured the SG at 1.143
day 13 --------------------------1.130
Then it stopped for about another 2 week now. Still at 1.130, it won't ferment any more even with additional yeast. I know turbo is supposed to last up to 20%+ alcohol levels. This is around 5% ABV. So... Not sure what I could've done wrong.
Any ideas?

Nothing turbo about that. Not sure why its fermenting so slow. I used Champagne yeast with a SG of 1.12 and within 10 days it was down to 0.991.

What temperature is the must? How did you prepare the yeast? Acts like there is preservatives and the yeast cant multiply

Thanks, I'll have to try the nutrient. Even though Turbo yeast already has nutrient in it, it sounds like it should work.

I kept it at around room temp ~70 degrees F.
I didn't prepare the yeast. But i haven't needed to since i got the turbo - I've gotten cider up to 14% already, my most recent batch, without making a starter.

Back