BIG Newb - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Kombucha & Fermented Tea Forum > BIG Newb

Old 10-30-2010, 04:50 AM   #1
Celestyal
Recipes 

Feb 2010
Redmond, WA

Okay, so i'm intrested in starting to make my own kombucha. I know i need a scoby(sp?) and i know i love the stuff. You have just reached the extent of my knowledge! Beer and wine i have, very tasty stuff. Just looking to branch out a bit. Thanks for any help and apologies if this is a repeat thread that someone might have going.

Old 11-19-2010, 03:16 PM   #2
PintOfBitter

Recipes 

Feb 2007
USA
Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

I was able to grow a scoby quite easily from some commercial kombucha added to some sweetened tea. It took about 2 weeks to get nice and stout, then I set it to work on some more sweetened tea for drinking. Growing up the scoby produces kombucha that is not good to drink.

Maybe you can use these Grain, Hops, Yeast Reference Charts

Old 01-26-2011, 09:20 PM   #3
Chromis
Recipes 

Jan 2011
Lynchburg, Virginia

Quote:
Originally Posted by PintOfBitter View Post
Growing up the scoby produces kombucha that is not good to drink.
I'm not sure I understand that sentence, can you clarify?
I'm also a new to Kombucha.

Thanks

Old 01-27-2011, 03:29 AM   #4
Shoki
Recipes 

Jan 2011
Burbank, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromis View Post
I'm not sure I understand that sentence, can you clarify?
I'm also a new to Kombucha.

Thanks
He means that if you make a batch to create a scoby the tea will not be great for drinking. Once you do have a scoby the batch you make should be tasty.

I bought my scoby from http://kombuchahealthdrink.com/ but I have not received it yet. I figured I would rather start with a batch that I can drink rather than creating a mother scoby for 2 weeks.

--Shoki

Old 01-27-2011, 10:35 PM   #5
Chromis
Recipes 

Jan 2011
Lynchburg, Virginia

Oh ok thanks Shoki. I thought he meant that a "homegrown" scoby doesnt make good tea. That makes alot more sense though.