RubberMaid says "NO"! - Page 2 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > RubberMaid says "NO"!

Closed Thread

Old 10-29-2010, 02:11 PM   #11
GilaMinumBeer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jan 2008
Liked 7460 Times on 6112 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwest450 View Post
Is this a psa, or a troll?
Nah. I am just awfully short for my height.

Old 10-29-2010, 02:15 PM   #12
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Jun 2006
UP of Michigan, Winter Texan
Liked 7842 Times on 5495 Posts

We've already debated, or discussed, this topic pretty fully.

I agree that Rubbermaid does NOT recommend their product to be used with hot water. It's a cooler, after all.

I also know that if water over 185 degrees is poured into it, it can warp and/or crack.

As to leaching out of the plastics, I've never heard of any research or tests at all to find out if 160 degree mashings will cause any leaching.

It's up to every person to use common sense and go by what they feel is safe. There are a couple of people here on HBT who will not use cooler MLTs just for this reason- and they have either keg MLTs or Blichmann stainless steel MLTs.

I use a cooler for mashing, and feel fine with it. If you don't, definitely don't use one!

Old 10-29-2010, 02:17 PM   #13
GilaMinumBeer

Recipes 

Jan 2008

And Dudes dig her tail!

Old 10-29-2010, 02:26 PM   #14
Hex

Recipes 

Oct 2009
Granite Bay, CA
Liked 27 Times on 26 Posts

Thanks, no studies, no usey for me.

Old 10-29-2010, 02:26 PM   #15
Bensiff

Recipes 

Mar 2008
, Washington, the state
Liked 384 Times on 303 Posts

Hey, if you can't taste plastic its fine...just like my natural gas alarm, it keeps going off saying there is gas in my house, but I can't smell mercaptan so its obviously a false alarm, I haven't blown up yet so whatever right.

Could Rubbermaid leach something at 160 degrees? Maybe, unless some chemist experiments we may never know, but, in the meantime probably millions of gallons have been brewed using a rubbermaid mashtun and I have yet to see the media go panic mode on Rubbermaid beer being as deadly as sharks were trumped up to be a few summers back.

Old 10-29-2010, 02:32 PM   #16
GilaMinumBeer

Recipes 

Jan 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hex View Post
Thanks, no studies, no usey for me.
Here is another one for ya, they aren't really made of rubber either.

Go ahead. Ask em.

Old 10-29-2010, 02:39 PM   #17
Hex

Recipes 

Oct 2009
Granite Bay, CA
Liked 27 Times on 26 Posts

Who's the troll?

Old 10-29-2010, 02:41 PM   #18
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Dec 2007
"Detroitish" Michigan
Liked 3189 Times on 1884 Posts

And did you know that the senior technical advisor for the National Propane Gas Association, had no idea that people made beer in propane turkey fryers until he was interviewed on Basic Brewing?

And pretty much spoke the party line of propane usage, which most of us pretty much ignore anyway.

Propane Safety and Tips on Basic Brewing Podcast.

And iirc neither did the makers of said Turkey Fryers know how we've coopted their product for our hobby. And said something similar.

Did you ever read the warning labels on a bottle of starsan? And did you also know that the required labelling about contact time is longer than it actually is, that it kills much faster than that but 5-star is required to have that info, but if you listen to the podcast here, he goes into the more effective way to use it. And talks about the FDA rules.

Quote:
March 29, 2007 - Sanitizing with Bleach and Star San
Charlie Talley from Five Star Chemicals tells us best practices in using household bleach and Star San in sanitizing equipment.

http://media.libsyn.com/media/basicb...br03-29-07.mp3
It's called "cover your a$$." And it's usually done by lawyers. Warning labels, usage "policies" are often written with oversight by lawyers to cover their a$$e$, or is it a$$et$? People are essentially stupid...and Lawyers are smart enough to cover their clients ass with warnings.....like warning on cruise controls in campers, not to engage them, and get up and go to the bathroom...or other fun things like these...The Darwin Awards

Also Has anyone EVER called a customer service number, and EVER got anything that was more than a canned answer? You don't get much out of the box thinking when calling a 1-800 number, especially if you're going to be connected to someone in India. They are going to read whatever they've been told to read, say whatever they've been told to say.

Bottom line, we've been using them for quite awhile now. And some folks choose not to and mash in kettles....So it's ultimately up to you.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

iparks81 Likes This 
Old 10-29-2010, 03:08 PM   #19
winvarin

Recipes 

Apr 2009
Edmond, OK
Liked 54 Times on 49 Posts

Wait. Coolers are not made for hot stuff and propane might burn, explode or gas me?

What's next?

I guess as long as they don't tell me that eating too many fried foods will give me a heart attack, I can live with the other risks.

Oh wait ...

Old 10-29-2010, 03:21 PM   #20
Bentpirate

Recipes 

Feb 2010
Lancaster, Pa
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Thank goodness the more beer I drink, the smarter I become. Can't take that away....

Closed Thread