Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Thoughts on my AG Sweet Stout Recipe?
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-28-2010, 12:33 PM   #1
Tennessee
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: M'WAUKEE
Posts: 26
Default Thoughts on my AG Sweet Stout Recipe?

Hi. I am new to AG brewing & this will be 2nd batch & would like some thoughts on my recipe below. I will be using DeathBrewer's stove top mash technique, which proved successful the first time around (Thanks DB!!!!). My first try at AG was a 3 gal. batch (small stove, no wort chiller, etc..) but this time I want to to a 4 gal. batch... boil 3 gal. then top off with a gal. of water.

One thing that crossed my mind was that I have too many specialty malts in my grain bill. Could I loose the roasted barley perhaps? what does it add that the debittered Black & chocolate don't?

thanks in advance!!!!

malt & fermentables
% LB OZ Malt or Fermentable ppg L

63% 5 0 American Two-row Pale 37 1
13% 1 0 Crystal 40L info 34 40
6% 0 8 Debittered Black Malt 34 550
6% 0 8 Chocolate Malt (US) 28 350
6% 0 8 Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L 33 120
6% 0 8 Roasted Barley 25 300
Batch size: 4.0 gallons


Original Gravity
1.054
(1.048 to 1.056)
Final Gravity
1.014
(1.012 to 1.015)
Color
52 SRM / 102 EBC
(Black)
Mash Efficiency
75% edit

hops
boil 60 mins 1.0 Kent Golding info pellet 5.0 aa%


Bitterness
19.6 IBU / 5 HBU
BU:GU
0.36

yeast
Wyeast British Ale (1098)


Alcohol
5.3% ABV / 4% ABW
Calories
178 per 12 oz.

misc
boil 15 min 0.25 ounces Irish Moss
boil 15 min 8 ounces Lactose


Tennessee is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 01:15 PM   #2
BobBailey
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Fallon, NV
Posts: 304
Liked 18 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

Loose the debittered black and the crystal 40, cut back the roasted barley to 4 oz. and add a lb. of flaked barley. I would recomend mashing at about 156 F.

If you're entering it into competition, you might just scale back the debittered black to make the minimum SRM.


BobBailey is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 01:25 PM   #3
Tennessee
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: M'WAUKEE
Posts: 26
Default

Thanks for the input.

I am not really worried about strictly adhering to the style, so long as the wife likes the beer (this batch is per her request). Would making the changes you suggested just bring the SRMs down?....it looks like the gravity would drop some too, no?
Tennessee is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 01:32 PM   #4
Hugh_Jass
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,977
Liked 31 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Default

IMO, instead of trying to hit a home run with one of your first at bats, I'd brew a recipe that's a proven winner. I've brewed this on many times. It's a standard in our house.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f68/o-fl...tandard-41072/

After you've brewed it, tweek it to your tastes. I upped the roasted barley because I like a more roasted flavor.

enjoy
__________________
Quote:
"My new company is going to sell Aqua-infused(tm), Alphabetamashed(tm), Wortboiled(tm), Multihops Brewed(tm), Saccharomented(tm), Lageriffic(tm) beer. - Bobby_M
Pigs are fantastic creatures. They convert vegetables into bacon.
Hugh_Jass is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 01:51 PM   #5
Tennessee
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: M'WAUKEE
Posts: 26
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh_Jass View Post
IMO, instead of trying to hit a home run with one of your first at bats, I'd brew a recipe that's a proven winner. I've brewed this on many times. It's a standard in our house.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f68/o-fl...tandard-41072/

After you've brewed it, tweek it to your tastes. I upped the roasted barley because I like a more roasted flavor.

enjoy
Looks good! I will have to try that one at some point.

I am thinking of swapping the caramel 40 for a pound of flaked barley.....but then I may just keep it as it is.
Tennessee is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 07:30 PM   #6
BobBailey
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Fallon, NV
Posts: 304
Liked 18 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennessee View Post
Thanks for the input.

I am not really worried about strictly adhering to the style, so long as the wife likes the beer (this batch is per her request). Would making the changes you suggested just bring the SRMs down?....it looks like the gravity would drop some too, no?
The flaked barley will pretty much compensate for the carmel 40 and the black, so the only loss will be from scaling back the roasted barley. (I find more than an ounce/gallon to be harsh.)

You can make up for that with 1/4 lb. extra 2-row or about 3 oz. of table sugar if you'd like, but I wouldn't worry about a couple of points.
BobBailey is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 08:18 PM   #7
Tennessee
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: M'WAUKEE
Posts: 26
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBailey View Post
The flaked barley will pretty much compensate for the carmel 40 and the black, so the only loss will be from scaling back the roasted barley. (I find more than an ounce/gallon to be harsh.)

You can make up for that with 1/4 lb. extra 2-row or about 3 oz. of table sugar if you'd like, but I wouldn't worry about a couple of points.
Fantastic! Thanks!


Tennessee is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sweet Stout 2.5G AG MetallHed All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 2 10-07-2010 10:16 AM
Cream / Sweet Stout Feedback JediJoel All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 0 06-07-2010 07:10 AM
Mashing the Perfect Sweet Stout Hop All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 8 04-21-2010 08:30 PM
Tingle from Sweet Stout Lodovico All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 3 12-01-2009 01:23 PM
PM sweet stout + experiment tranceamerica All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 0 04-12-2008 09:49 PM


Forum Jump

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS