Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Belgian and French Ale > All-Grain - Revvy's Belgian Blonde (Leffe Clone)

Old 06-15-2012, 08:27 PM   #201
thirstyutahn
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

It should be interesting. There will be 2 Belgians, 2-3 homebrewers, quite a few craft beer drinkers, and quite a few bmc drinkers. I'm hoping to win them all over with this beer .

Ill report back tomorrow sometime.

Old 06-17-2012, 05:12 PM   #202
jmzcustomz
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Omg I have not read all of the pages and comments but have to say that is one of the BEST legal disclaimers ever! Oh and thanks for the recipe I'm going to read the comments and possibly tackle this soon.

Old 06-18-2012, 02:46 AM   #203
thirstyutahn
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Alright well despite it getting hazy due to having to move it to the location it tasted awesome! It only bothered me and I'm the only one who knew because we were drinking out of solo cups haha. It was crystal clear before I moved it though.

The Belgians raved about it and I even had the bmc crowd asking me why the heck I wasn't selling it. A couple people actually hunted me down and grilled me, asking if I really brewed it hahaha. They said "this doesn't taste like homebrew man....this is a serious craft beer!" Not a single person didn't like it or didn't go back for more....annnd more .

So I think it's safe to say it was well received! Props to you sir on a great recipe!
People Like This 
Old 06-18-2012, 02:39 PM   #204
homebrewdad
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 380 Times on 277 Posts
Likes Given: 251

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirstyutahn View Post
Alright well despite it getting hazy due to having to move it to the location it tasted awesome! It only bothered me and I'm the only one who knew because we were drinking out of solo cups haha. It was crystal clear before I moved it though.

The Belgians raved about it and I even had the bmc crowd asking me why the heck I wasn't selling it. A couple people actually hunted me down and grilled me, asking if I really brewed it hahaha. They said "this doesn't taste like homebrew man....this is a serious craft beer!" Not a single person didn't like it or didn't go back for more....annnd more .

So I think it's safe to say it was well received! Props to you sir on a great recipe!
Awesome report, man. Very cool that the Belgians enjoyed it. Thanks for sharing!

Old 06-19-2012, 05:13 AM   #205
homebrewdad
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Ladies and gentlemen, the day has arrived.

Tonight, I cracked open another bottle of this batch, and all I can say is - WOW!

The harshness, the funkiness are gone. The spiciness is a little more subdued; suddenly, the sweetness and fruitiness are very much evident... but the finish is slightly dry, which really makes you want to take another sip.

It is amazing how this beer has dramatically changed while aging. I have to wonder why there is a contingent on this forum who rolls their eyes at those who advocate patience and aging.

It may be ever so slightly different from the commercial beer, but that is not a bad thing by any stretch - this is definitely an excellent beer. It is time to label and start sharing.

I am so proud of how this has turned out, and am very appreciative to Revvy for researching this and then being kind enough to share this recipe. I will definitely keep this quality beer on hand.

If you care to read, I compiled my tasting notes on my blog.

Old 06-23-2012, 03:04 AM   #206
starman
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 35

What's this? (Hint: The answer is not a retired safety bollard from The Hellen Keller School of Driving)

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120622_215513.jpg
Views:	331
Size:	9.3 KB
ID:	65987

That's right, the bureau of pipeline management has dedicated a sanke exclusively for Revvy Leffe fermentation.
People Like This 
Old 06-26-2012, 01:04 AM   #207
starman
Recipes 

Got cocky and failed to consider the combined impact of a new strike water thermometer and thermal mass of extra grain/water of 10g. This batch sat at 163 for 30 mins.... hope I don't need a fork to rack it over in a month!

Old 06-29-2012, 12:07 AM   #208
Mermaid
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I'm finally going to get around to brewing this as soon as it friggin cools OFF here in the midwest (the thought of standing over an open kettle in 91 degree heat sorta freaks me out).

Anyone try this with the Wyeast 1388 (Duvel) strain? I'm diggin the Maredsous blond and.. yes I know it wouldn't be Leffe, but I'm just curious if anyone tried Revvy's recipe with other yeast strains? It seems like a solid Belgian blond recipe, with residual sweetness which might lend itself to experimentation with different yeasts.

-------------------------
Primary: Empty
Secondary: Empty!
an empty fermenter is a sad fermenter
Bottled: Nut brown ale, Bink blond clone (she's a bitter Belgian!) Belgian Wit, several other tasty beers that have since been consumed!
On deck: TBD

Old 06-29-2012, 12:54 AM   #209
homebrewdad
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid View Post
I'm finally going to get around to brewing this as soon as it friggin cools OFF here in the midwest (the thought of standing over an open kettle in 91 degree heat sorta freaks me out).

Anyone try this with the Wyeast 1388 (Duvel) strain? I'm diggin the Maredsous blond and.. yes I know it wouldn't be Leffe, but I'm just curious if anyone tried Revvy's recipe with other yeast strains? It seems like a solid Belgian blond recipe, with residual sweetness which might lend itself to experimentation with different yeasts.
It seems like there have been posts about this earlier in the thread - I bet it would lend itself to this well.

Old 06-29-2012, 12:43 PM   #210
starman
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid View Post

This is a great grain bill so you would probably have success with any Belgian strain. I've done it a handful of times with 3787 westmalle? on the cooler side which adds a slight fruitiness and a bit more wang. The end result isnt a mirror of Leffe but its very good. The wife still prefers 530 @ 66-68 ambient though.