Aged Star San - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Aged Star San

Old 10-27-2010, 04:25 AM   #1
ChandlerBang

Recipes 

Oct 2010
Earth
Liked 26 Times on 24 Posts

Long story short, I have half a bottle of Star San that I got from a guy that I bought a bunch of brewing stuff from. We think it is a couple years old. Is it any good? What is the self life on the stuff?

Thanks

Old 10-27-2010, 04:30 AM   #2
Nateo

Recipes 

Jul 2010
Bennett Springs, MO
Liked 39 Times on 30 Posts

do you have pH strips or a meter? Mix some up and test it.

My blogsite: http://nateobrew.blogspot.com/

Old 10-27-2010, 04:44 AM   #3
ChandlerBang

Recipes 

Oct 2010
Earth

I do not, but I will tomorrow. What pH range am I looking for?

Old 10-27-2010, 04:46 AM   #4
Teaman

Recipes 

Sep 2010
Valley Of The Sun
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Around 3 or less I believe
Carbing Up: Simply Hefe
On Tap: Fat Tire, Watneys Cream Stout, Bombshell Blonde

Old 10-27-2010, 04:52 AM   #5
ChandlerBang

Recipes 

Oct 2010
Earth

Thanks. Another random question, how do you get the signature to show up at the bottom of the reply?

Old 10-27-2010, 03:36 PM   #6
Nateo

Recipes 

Jul 2010
Bennett Springs, MO
Liked 39 Times on 30 Posts

Found a post on another forum by Charlie Talley, the Starsan man himself:

Star San is based on phosphoric acid, being an acid is is very friendly to s/s. When storing the use solution of Star San keep these things in mind. First it is still active as long as the pH is below 3, and the solution is clear. When the solution turns cloudy the soap in Star San has reacted with the mineral in the make-up water and has made the final solution useless. A good way of getting around this is to make up the Star San up with D.I. Water.

Keeping Star is plastic or in Stainless Steel is OK as long as the first two comments are met.

Star San will kill just about every organism known to man in 30 seconds.

And last but not least is the foam. Since Star San will not kill when the pH goes above 3 any small amount left in a bottle or a keg will not stop the furmentation process and it is safe to drink the beer that is what comes out of the package. That is why Star San has a no rinse claim.

Oh one more thing Star San is an acid and it will make a mess of counter-tops and rugs if it is spilled on them be carfull when using it.

Charlie

My blogsite: http://nateobrew.blogspot.com/

Old 10-27-2010, 04:15 PM   #7
Hang Glider
Beer Drinker
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Mar 2007
North Augusta, SC
Liked 204 Times on 152 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwaite37 View Post
Thanks. Another random question, how do you get the signature to show up at the bottom of the reply?
User CP (top left of the 'bar') is User Control Panel. Play around in there. Oh, and WELCOME to HBT!

Old 10-27-2010, 07:53 PM   #8
l1ranger
Recipes 

Jan 2010
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

also at the tops, quick links - user control panel - edit signature

bottle - some odds and ends
Primary - Belgian Pale
Secondary - smoked ale, christmas ale
on deck - brrrrr-ley wine

Old 10-27-2010, 08:01 PM   #9
GilaMinumBeer
Half-fast Prattlarian
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jan 2008
Liked 7720 Times on 6301 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nateo View Post
Found a post on another forum by Charlie Talley, the Starsan man himself:

Star San is based on phosphoric acid, being an acid is is very friendly to s/s. When storing the use solution of Star San keep these things in mind. First it is still active as long as the pH is below 3, and the solution is clear. When the solution turns cloudy the soap in Star San has reacted with the mineral in the make-up water and has made the final solution useless. A good way of getting around this is to make up the Star San up with D.I. Water.

Keeping Star is plastic or in Stainless Steel is OK as long as the first two comments are met.

Star San will kill just about every organism known to man in 30 seconds.

And last but not least is the foam. Since Star San will not kill when the pH goes above 3 any small amount left in a bottle or a keg will not stop the furmentation process and it is safe to drink the beer that is what comes out of the package. That is why Star San has a no rinse claim.

Oh one more thing Star San is an acid and it will make a mess of counter-tops and rugs if it is spilled on them be carfull when using it.

Charlie
that is great in regards to the solution. But I think the OP is quering about the shelf life of the concentrate. Which, IIRC, is very stable.

Old 10-27-2010, 08:06 PM   #10
ChandlerBang

Recipes 

Oct 2010
Earth

Great info thanks. I bought a bottle of Iodophor at the LHBS today because she SWEARS by it. And had an otherwise unimpressed look on her face when I said I read a lot of good things about Star San. Do I need to rinse after using Iodophor?