Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Mini mash tun manifold design

Old 10-27-2010, 01:55 AM   #1
Wooster
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Mini mash tun manifold design

I'm in the process of building a small mash tun out of a 2 gallon cooler for partial mash brews. It's pretty much one copper tube running across the middle of the cylindrical cooler, and I was wondering if I could get any input on the manifold. Since it is relatively small, I was thinking about drilling holes in it instead of using a hacksaw to make slots. My main concern is whether or not I should drill holes all the way around, or only put them on the upper surface. Anyone have any input?

Old 10-27-2010, 07:44 PM   #2
Soperbrew
Who rated my beer?
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 89 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Most manifolds I've seen have the slots or holes in the bottom. The effectiveness of your design might depend on the amount & size of the holes. I'll bet if you searched hard enough you might find someone else has done this.

Old 10-28-2010, 01:43 AM   #3
Wooster
Recipes 

I started drilling 3/32" holes in it, but I think I made need to decrease the spacing so as to have more holes. Any input on this?

Chapstick provided for size reference.

Old 10-28-2010, 03:34 AM   #4
Soperbrew
Who rated my beer?

Recipes 

Liked 89 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Looks like alot of work. Is there a reason you didn't want to go with the more simpler SS braid?

Old 10-28-2010, 03:59 PM   #5
adam01
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Or, use a painters straining bag to hold the grains...

Old 10-28-2010, 04:32 PM   #6
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2873 Times on 1699 Posts
Likes Given: 3511

Most of the folks that I know who have made minimash tuns have simply for a little SS braid. Just cutting one down and folding over the end of it. I think that is the way James @ basic brewing did his. Even chubbykid brewing did it for his 5L minikeg tun

http://sites.google.com/site/chubbyk...keg-lauter-tun

I just us a folding steamer in the bottom along with a grain bag. Just break off or unscrew the center post.

One of these, it helps to lift the grain bag above the spigot to keep the drainig from getting stuck.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew