yeast washing pumpkin ale???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

THEDIETZ

Reaction score
I used a WLP001 California Ale in my pumpkin ale. I use a hop bag but I did throw all of my spices in and flame ....and they all got thrown directly in....no hop bag...so besides yeast those spices are probably mixed in my trub. Do you think I could still wash this yeast and use it for a different style beer in the future without the nutmeg, cinnamon and pumpkin pie spice flavors coming out??

I am new to this and this would be only the 2nd time i washed yeast...but looking to save money any way i can! Thanks for the advice

I would personally do it, but I would only pitch the slurry into much stronger flavored beers. Still, it's pushing it. And in the long run, is $7 really going to break your budget? Just plan your brew schedule so that you occasionally make a 5% ABV beer with low IBUs with the purpose of harvesting lots of yeast.

I am making a big IPA this weekend. Shooting for a 1.084 OG....so maybe use it for a starter for this? But then again maybe i should just spend the $7 and be safe

$7 to be sure your next brew won't be pumpkin tainted and you won't waste $20 or $30 in ingredients sounds a little more reassuring to me. I've never necessarily "washed" yeast, I just take it out of the fridge, pour off the top and let the yeast warm up to pitching temp. I still think it'll be impossible to get rid of that pumpkin taste. Other choice would be to make a beer that would be complimented by the flavor if anything. Good luck either way!

I have a pumpkin Ale in primary that I used a Belgian saison yeast for the spice/clove nuances. I am planning on washing and using it again if only to find out what kind of
flavor carry-over, if any will take place. Part of the fun of learning...never know till you try.
MB

I'm thinking a Winter Warmer would do the trick. A nice spiced old ale for the holidays.

I actually just washed yeast from a pumpkin ale to use in a rye ipa. I guess it didn't occur to me until right when I shook up the yeast slurry and pitched it that the container had a heavy pumpkin spice aroma. I'll let you know how it comes out but I think the IBU's in the IPA will overpower and pumpkin spices...but in a rye the spicyness may complement the flavor.

To me, it shouldn't be an issue, but it might just be the way i, personally, do my starters. After I wash yeast, i get about 30mL of pure yeast slurry, which i then grow with a starter (sometimes stepped up twice). How you do your starters is key - if you use a big enough starter (volume) or step it up, you should be good, IMHO. The amount of spices used shouldn't affect subsequent starters, nor a full batch of beer since you're talking a scale of 5gal (or more).

Now, i don't claim to know ANYTHING regarding how spices affect the cell health over time...

Back