Do you remember trying your first beer you brewed - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Do you remember trying your first beer you brewed

Old 10-25-2010, 03:19 PM   #1
Oct 2010
Carlsbad, CA
Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

I brewed an extract stone IPA clone and it has been in the bottles for about a week, I know it's still green but I tried my first one on Friday to taste the difference once it ages but I can happily say it was still awesome. The beer turned out great and I cant wait for it to age. I can finally RDWHAHB instead of RDWHASBB. This forum ROCKS!!

Old 10-25-2010, 03:52 PM   #2
Special Hops
Jun 2008
Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts

yeah - it wasn't very good.
On Tap:Foreign Extra Stout, ESB
Fermenting: Fools Gold IIPA
Up Next: Oatmeal Stout

Old 10-25-2010, 04:02 PM   #3
Oct 2010

Yep... A mint chocolate sotut, it was f****** awful.. Congrats on your first brew!

Old 10-25-2010, 04:10 PM   #4
Dec 2007
Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
Liked 148 Times on 120 Posts

Under-attenuated alt. Bad beer. I wasn't deterred though.

Old 10-25-2010, 04:12 PM   #5
Sep 2010
Monticello, Tallahassee, FL
Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

My frist brew was a Belgian Triple....It was friggin awesome....Along the lines of La Fin Du Monde, and Westmelle Tripple I was highly impressed. I was hooked from that point on.

Excessive Hoppyness Brewing
Tap 1: Falling Leaf Oktoberfest Ale
Tap 2:Kickback Chcoclate Stout
Kegged:Cold Night Winter Warmer
Primary 1: American Amber Ale
Primary 2: American Amber Ale
Primary 3:
Coming up:
Bottled:nothing :(

Excessive Hoppyness Brew Pub
Beer Reviews, and Brewery Updates! <----NEW REVIEWS ADDED!

Old 10-25-2010, 04:12 PM   #6
Sep 2010
Gridley, CA
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

It tasted like apple juice.
Primary 1: Apfelwine
Primary 2: Buddy's Brown Porter
Primary 3: "Brown" Hefeweizen (oops?)
Primary 4: Chocolate Stout

Old 10-25-2010, 04:40 PM   #7
Bulls Beers
Sep 2007
, Boston Bomber#1 place of death...
Liked 170 Times on 131 Posts

I did an amber. It wasn't very good, but I was stoked that I made beer...
Spezialisiert auf Deutsch Lagerbier...

Old 10-25-2010, 04:47 PM   #8
Jan 2009
Princeton, Nj
Liked 124 Times on 98 Posts

Mine was a brewer's best IPA kit fermented in an apartment closet in Tempe Arizona in summer. I was too cheap/poor to leave the AC on when I wasn't there... so yeah. My first brew tasted bad.
It could be worse.

Old 10-25-2010, 05:16 PM   #9
Aug 2010
Juneau, AK
Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts

The first beer I brewed was kit beer (Bock) with LME, grain, and some type of dry yeast. I read the instructions and followed them until it said to bottle. Following them was the problem. While I do not remember the exact wording, but after stepping grains, boiling wort, adding hops, the instructions stated to cool the wort to 80 degrees, add yeast, wait 4 days and then bottle.

Coming from a wine background, 80 degrees for pitching yeast seemed fine. So, I pitched the yeast and watched over the next two days at one of the most vigorous fermentation I had ever seen. Fermentation temp? All above 80 degrees the entire time At 4 days, I decided that I really did not want to bottle, so I transferred to a secondary and put it in a 65 degree room, but the wort stayed in the mid-70's most of the time.

Left the beer in the secondary for 7days and tasted it. I was bad - real bad. Like jet fuel. Bad alcohol tastes and smells everywhere. I thought the beer would be ruined, but remembered some of the bad wine I had made in the past that turned good. So, I transferred to a bottling bucket. About half-way through the transfer, the secondary slipped off the wedge it was on, which disturbed the turb, meaning I got quite a bit of it in the bottling bucket. I was already upset with the beer, so I said screw it, I'm not waiting for the turb to settle again, added corn sugar to carb, and bottled it.

The beer spent a month in the bottle in a 65 degree room before I put some in the fridge for a week. When I tasted it, it still had an alcohol taste, and a semi-unpleasant after taste, but overall it was somewhat drinkable. Two weeks later I put more in the fridge and left it there for a two more weeks. What I found was that the beer had morphed into some really good beer that even my wife liked. It just seems that as time went on, the beer just got better and better. The only complaint I had with the beer was a very slight plastic/alcohol type aftertaste when breathing out (or burping), and a prominent layer of sediment from the turb that I disturbed when transferring.

So, I would say that with all the problems I had, my first beer was a success. I also learned that time heals all sorts of bad things.

Old 10-25-2010, 05:21 PM   #10
Hobby Collector
Nov 2007
Liked 3484 Times on 3302 Posts

Brewer's Best Pale Ale. I was extremely pleased. Would like to taste it now though and see where I've came from.
Tap Room Hobo

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas.