Possible to add flavoring post boil? - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Possible to add flavoring post boil?

Old 10-24-2010, 07:34 AM   #1
Mdowling56
Recipes 

Oct 2010
So California

Hi all,

First post... tried the search but couldn't really find anything pertaining to my Q.

So i'm on my second brew and I need to see if I can make some changes late in the game.

I started out with a very simple brown ale, its been in the primary for about a week and chugging along nicely.

Well today a few of my buddies informed me that they will all be doing Holiday style ales for a party coming up at the end of November. We are all at about the same point skill wise, so there is a fair about of bragging rights to be had at this party.

Rather then try to rush along a legit holiday ale recipe, I was wondering if it would still be possible to add flavoring to my brown ale? Its not a particularly strong flavored ale so I thought it might be nice to add some hints of spice (cinnamon, nutmeg etc.) and possibly a little orange peel or something. Nothing crazy, just enough to where I can call it somewhat of a "holiday brew" and not look like the guy who just did a Newcastle clone.

Also, suggestion on spice/amounts would be very much appreciated.

A friend of mine did suggest infusing a good vodka with the spice over the next few weeks and then adding it to the beer when its time to rack into the keg. I dont know how much this friend really knows what he's talking about so I wanted to check with you guys first.

Thanks a ton! I really appreciate any advice!

Old 10-24-2010, 12:03 PM   #2
kinison_fan

Recipes 

Sep 2007
Downingtown, PA
Liked 54 Times on 51 Posts

Your friend's suggestion is spot on.
A shot or two of vodka in a small bottle (or mason jar) with a 1/2 teaspoon, or more of each spice-even the orange peel-let it sit for a week or two (or longer if you have time).

Filter through a coffee filter to get just the liquid, and add to the batch at bottling time.
Add a little at a time, stir gently to mix it in, then taste. Keep adding a little until you have the right hint (or punch in the mouth) of flavor. Then bottle or Keg.

That is basically how you make your own flavor extracts.