Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Pliny the Elder Help!

Old 10-23-2010, 06:41 PM   #1
Batinse
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Pliny the Elder Help!

Hi All, I'm brewing Pliny the Elder today using this recipe, but I didn't notice that the pre-boil volume was 8 gallons. So I've only calculated enough grain for about 6 gallons. I'm using:

11 lbs 2-row
8 oz Carapils
8 oz Crystal 40L
1 lb Dextrose

I think I need at least 2 more pounds of 2-row to get the desired O.G. (1.071) at a decent boil volume (pre-boil O.G. what, like 1.052 or so?). I don't have time to go to the LHBS today, but I do have some Pale LME kicking around. How much should I add to get the desired O.G.?

Bottled: Alec's Ale, Alec's Ale X, Nut Very Good Brown Ale, Pliny the Elder Clone, Admiral Longshank's Oatmeal Stout

Old 10-23-2010, 07:11 PM   #2
nu2brewing
Recipes 

Likes Given: 11

Oh I want to brew this one, I'll be interested to see what responses you get.

Old 10-23-2010, 07:20 PM   #3
chriswilkes33
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batinse View Post
Hi All, I'm brewing Pliny the Elder today using this recipe, but I didn't notice that the pre-boil volume was 8 gallons. So I've only calculated enough grain for about 6 gallons. I'm using:

11 lbs 2-row
8 oz Carapils
8 oz Crystal 40L
1 lb Dextrose

I think I need at least 2 more pounds of 2-row to get the desired O.G. (1.071) at a decent boil volume (pre-boil O.G. what, like 1.052 or so?). I don't have time to go to the LHBS today, but I do have some Pale LME kicking around. How much should I add to get the desired O.G.?
Do you have beersmith? If so you can use the dilution tool to figure what gravity of wort the extra 2 gallons need to be to get you to your desired gravity? What is your planned efficiency? I can figure it out for you if you know what the gravity will be from your mash as it stands.

*Member: The HBT Sweaty Fat Guys Cigar club

Old 10-23-2010, 07:28 PM   #4
Batinse
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks chriswilkes,

I use Brewtarget, not beersmith, and I can't get the numbers to work right now--it doesn't seem to calculate for dilution. My usual efficiency is between 75 and 80%. I'd love it if you could give me a hand with the numbers...thanks!
Bottled: Alec's Ale, Alec's Ale X, Nut Very Good Brown Ale, Pliny the Elder Clone, Admiral Longshank's Oatmeal Stout

Old 10-23-2010, 07:31 PM   #5
iaefebs
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 244 Times on 176 Posts
Likes Given: 605

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batinse View Post

11 lbs 2-row
8 oz Carapils
8 oz Crystal 40L
1 lb Dextrose

I brewed this yesterday. If you have the room for 8 gallon boil
15.5# 2row
.75# cara-pils/dex
.75# crystal 40
.90# Corn sugar

this based on 70% eff.

Old 10-23-2010, 07:43 PM   #6
iaefebs
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 244 Times on 176 Posts
Likes Given: 605

I put your recipe in to beersmith using 75% eff and 1# dme addition brings the OG to 1.075

Old 10-23-2010, 07:50 PM   #7
chriswilkes33
Recipes 

When I put those grains into Beersmith I get about 1.074 with a 75% efficiency for 5 gallons. If you try to adjust for hop loss, I added 1 gallons which makes your estimated OG of 1.062. You would add 2 gallons of 1.095 wort to get that total to 1.070. I hope I did that right, Im not super sure I used the dilution tool right.

so use your LME to make a 2 gallon batch of 1.095 wort and that added to 6 gallons of 1.057.

Beersmith says 5.3 pounds of pale liquid malt extract in 2 gallons yields 1.095 wort.

Again, Im not confident I am doing this totally right but it is a start, hopefully someone else here can verify it. It seems like a lot of LME to add.

Old 10-23-2010, 08:53 PM   #8
Batinse
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for the help--except I don't have that much LME! I may just add what I have and hope for the best. I'll see what I get for a preboil volume and s.g. and go from there.

Old 10-23-2010, 08:57 PM   #9
chriswilkes33
Recipes 

You could boil with just the 6 gallons of wort you collect and then after the boil top up with whatever wort/water you need to hit your gravity, that is probably the best solution.

Old 10-24-2010, 05:33 PM   #10
Batinse
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Well, I ended up with just under 6 gallons of 1.065 wort in the end. I had less LME than I thought, so only added a bit less than a pound. Not a bad efficiency hit, and the beer still smells and tastes incredible. I'm looking forward to it!

Thanks for the help here.