Winter Seasonal Beer Christmas Ale (Great Lakes Clone) - Page 7 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Specialty, Fruit, Historical, Other Homebrew Recipes > Winter Seasonal Beer Christmas Ale (Great Lakes Clone)

Old 12-01-2011, 10:11 PM   #61
bmock79

Recipes 

Feb 2011
dayton, ohio
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks for the replies fellas!

Old 12-02-2011, 09:47 PM   #62
Q2XL

Recipes 

Feb 2009
Eastpointe, Michigan
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

This marked my 70th beer brewed. And it tastes great!!! A bit thin in the mouthfeel but very tasty indeed. And at almost 9% for my brew, I am sure this will warm up the holidays enough for everyone to get along.

Old 12-02-2011, 10:33 PM   #63
ronstar55

Recipes 

Sep 2010
Morris, Illinois
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I brewed this on 10/21. I put honey in the boil, but not cinnamon or ginger.

Moved to secondary 11/4, added cinnamon sticks and ginger and wanted to add some more honey. But the honey I had left had turned solid, So I mixed it with water and microwaved it a bit. Then I thought that I might have diluted the batch with the watered down honey so I added a little Amber dme (without boiling).

When I put it in the secondary, I started getting airlock activity that lasted several days. After airlock activity stopped, I put the carboy outside to cold crash on 11/15. I bottled on 11/18.

Put a bottle in the fridge this morning 12/2 and tasted. Tastes great but very little carbonation after 2 weeks. I normally keg, so the cold crashing does not affect carbonation. But I read here that cold crashing can hinder carbonation when bottling because the priming sugar needs yeast to carbonate, and the yeast has been killed by the cold crash. Oh well - hopefully this will carb up ok in another 3 weeks.

Keg1: Oatmeal Stout
Keg2: Wheat Ale
Primary1: Vanilla bean porter
Primary2: Vanilla bean porter
Primary3: Nothing
Secondary 1: IPA
Secondary 2: Nothing
Keg conditioning: nothing
Bottled: nothing

Old 12-03-2011, 04:46 AM   #64
Q2XL

Recipes 

Feb 2009
Eastpointe, Michigan
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronstar55 View Post
Put a bottle in the fridge this morning 12/2 and tasted. Tastes great but very little carbonation after 2 weeks.
The same thing happened to mine recently. I had it bottled and tried it after about 2.5 weeks and very little carbonation...this never happened to me before. So, I brought it upstairs where it is a bit warmer 70-72F and gently swirled the bottles. I opened one today and was perfectly caronated. So, for me it took about 5 weeks to carb up. The warmer temps and swirling did the trick.

Old 12-15-2011, 04:27 PM   #65
Diesel48
Recipes 

Jan 2010
West Michigan
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Are people fermenting this beer with the ginger in it? I added the cinnamon sticks and ginger at the end of boil. I poured the entire thing in to my fermenter and let it sit for 4 weeks. We then bottled and let it carb up. It has been carbonating for a few weeks, a little colder than normal so it has a bit to go yet. The beer really taste like ginger. Just wonder if I should have put the ginger in at a different time. I am sure it will fade with age but curious to what others have done.

Old 12-16-2011, 03:29 PM   #66
two_hearted

Recipes 

Apr 2010
Cincinnati, Ohio
Liked 192 Times on 155 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel48 View Post
Are people fermenting this beer with the ginger in it? I added the cinnamon sticks and ginger at the end of boil. I poured the entire thing in to my fermenter and let it sit for 4 weeks. We then bottled and let it carb up. It has been carbonating for a few weeks, a little colder than normal so it has a bit to go yet. The beer really taste like ginger. Just wonder if I should have put the ginger in at a different time. I am sure it will fade with age but curious to what others have done.
That's the way I do it. Did you grate your ginger or chop it up? It should smooth out with a little age. You can also add your spices in secondary if you want. I'm not sure the best way, but they all seem to work differently.

I like adding them at flameout, that way I can add more in secondary if it doesn't come through enough.

Old 12-16-2011, 03:31 PM   #67
two_hearted

Recipes 

Apr 2010
Cincinnati, Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q2XL View Post
This marked my 70th beer brewed. And it tastes great!!! A bit thin in the mouthfeel but very tasty indeed. And at almost 9% for my brew, I am sure this will warm up the holidays enough for everyone to get along.
Wow, 70! Congrats, I'm glad you like it.

Old 12-16-2011, 03:32 PM   #68
Diesel48
Recipes 

Jan 2010
West Michigan
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Cut the fresh ginger into slices until we had 2oz of it. I typically do not secondary my beers. I did add it at flame out.

Old 12-16-2011, 04:42 PM   #69
two_hearted

Recipes 

Apr 2010
Cincinnati, Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel48 View Post
Cut the fresh ginger into slices until we had 2oz of it. I typically do not secondary my beers. I did add it at flame out.
Nice. This first time I used ginger I grated 2 oz... PITA if you ask me. I only use secondary if I'm adding things like spices, fruit, wood.

Old 01-07-2012, 05:09 AM   #70
Trophy_Brew21
Recipes 

Jan 2012
Topeka, KS
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

This is the recipe that I used (Great Lakes Christmas Ale Clone) Any suggestions, i only had in primary fermentor for 2 weeks, and bottled just a couple of days ago. Has anybody here tried this recipe? Thanks