Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Homebrew & Hangovers

Old 08-22-2005, 06:55 PM   #1
SilvaRizla
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Homebrew & Hangovers

My girlfriend (Who never drinks anything unless its fizzy and fluroescent) has finally plucked up the courage to drink my brew, but she gets hangovers.

I have heard this doesn't really happen with homebrew, (I never get them so I can't advise) can anyody comment?

Thanks

Silva

Old 08-22-2005, 07:19 PM   #2
loopmd

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Ahhhhh,

The ole you don't get a hangover by drinking homebrew myth....There are two main things which scientists have found contribute to a hangover : Dehydration and depletion of Vitamin B12. Well, as it turns out, brewers' yeast is a veritable factory for Vitamin B12, and since the vast majority of homebrew does not have the yeast filtered out like commercial beer does, homebrew helps combat hangovers. Note...helps combat hangovers, does not prevent them.

loop

Old 08-22-2005, 07:21 PM   #3
Punn
Recipes 

yes, i get hangover from my homebrew..... wow i got a bad one! But it is so worth it. and it plays hell on my insides too..

Old 08-22-2005, 11:00 PM   #4
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 102 Times on 86 Posts

I've never had a hangover from MY homebrew. But then again, I haven't had a HO for over 25 years, including my Greek Ouzo binges (not really binges, but there's something about being on a Greek island and eating Greek food and ouzo that just seems like paradise).

The trick is to re-hydrate yourself PRIOR to going to sleep. (Something to this effect has already been stated, and I have proven it out).

Drink water!

Same goes for the B12. That's why my favorite beer, OK, the flavor has a lot to do with it), is Hefe Weizen.

Old 08-24-2005, 04:55 PM   #5
SilvaRizla
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

okie dokie, well it turns out she didn't get one, this is probably because of the B12 thing and becasue she was clearing her palette with juice after every sip (not quite used to it yet), so I suppose that could be why.

If it plays havock with your insides I suggest something isn't quite right maybe?

I get a nice warm tingly feeling from mine mmmm

Old 08-24-2005, 09:00 PM   #6
Clay
Recipes 

When I made my first batch of beer, I made a starter kit called bear tooth stout. My buddy and I drank about 15 beers each and the next afternoon (slept through the morning) felt like Hell. It was personally the worst hangover I've ever had. My friend said it was his too and he went on to say it was even worse then a hangover. He blamed my brew and me.

Old 08-25-2005, 09:53 PM   #7
andre the giant

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

The key is to drink plenty of water amongst all the beer. I can't tell you how many times I've woke up after a night of drinking wine, and I can't drink enough water to get myself rehydrated. Dehydration and alcohol make you feel miserable.

I've been very fortunate. I have yet to get a hangover from my beer. I've woke up feeling a bit foggy, and parched, but never... NEVER like what I've had with wine, Jaegermiester, 151 rum, Rumplemintz, etc.

Old 08-25-2005, 10:13 PM   #8
2nd Street Brewery

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I agree with HB99, the secret is to drink a good amount of good old H2O before you retire to rehydrate yourself. When I do get hangovers it is usually because I was so drunk the night before that I forgot to follow my own advice.

Old 08-25-2005, 11:07 PM   #9
DesertBrew
You're not my type
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 104 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 220

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd Street Brewery
I agree with HB99, the secret is to drink a good amount of good old H2O before you retire to rehydrate yourself. When I do get hangovers it is usually because I was so drunk the night before that I forgot to follow my own advice.
With the water, I also take a B12 vitamin before going to bed. Eat salty foods while drinking if you have the opportunity which aides in water retention. Knew a russian guy who said when they'd go out on a vodka binge they'd have those large pickles in a jar that they be munching on throughout the night for the salt. Interesting and works (salt that is). 2nd, I agree I'm my own worst enemy if I forget these tips

Old 08-25-2005, 11:18 PM   #10
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 102 Times on 86 Posts

I have to remember the pickle thing...I usually forego salty foods because I had a heart attack about 9.5 years ago. I haven't used table salt for over 20 years.