Should I use this kit?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedHouse

Reaction score
I am just getting back into brewing after a few years off. Today, I bought a new extract/specialty grains kit from my lhbs. When I got home, I decided to get out all my brewing stuff from the attic to make sure I have everything I need to brew this weekend. In the box with my grain bags, airlocks, bottle caps, wort chiller, etc.....I found an old kit for an Irish Red Ale that I had never gotten around to brewing. The yeast pack(Danstar Windsor) is expired, and I'll get a new one.....but, is the rest of the kit going to be ok to use?

The rest of the kit contained:
6lbs of English LME
1lb of Crushed English Crystal Malt
Northern Brewer and Fuggle hop pellets(vacuum packed)
Irish Moss
Corn Sugar

I'm guessing the malt may not be as good as fresh, but can I expect a reasonable beer from this? Would you brew it?

Thanks!

Lets say your beer kit was a block of swiss cheese that had been in the attic for a couple years. This is food. Don't do it.

Forrest

LME = liquid malt, or light malt?
If it's dry and sealed properly it's probably fine. If it's liquid in a can it's also probably fine. Liquid in a reusable container is possibly spoiled.
As for the crystal malt, there's a good chance it's stale, and could well effect the flavor of your beer.
Hops should be refrigerated, vacuum pack isn't enough.
Save the irish moss, and corn sugar. Those (if sealed) will keep for a long time.

Other people with more experience, feel free to disagree.

yeah, the LME is a liquid, and it's in a bag. Still no good?

I could always get some fresh grains, and fresh extract and hops too.

Thanks for the help.

yeah, the LME is a liquid, and it's in a bag. Still no good?

I could always get some fresh grains, and fresh extract and hops too.

Thanks for the help.

Um, yes but if you get fresh grains, fresh extract, fresh hops, and fresh yeast, isn't that the whole kit?

Any old LME will NOT give you good results, and old grains aren't worth it either. I'd toss any crushed grains over 3 months old, LME more than 6 months old, and hops more than 6 months old unless they were kept in a freezer.

lol....yeah, that is pretty much the whole kit...that's kinda what I meant.

I'll ditch this kit and get my smoked porter brewed up this weekend, and either get another kit, or get my mash tun built and go all grain for my next brew.

Back