Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > CO2 leak from you know what

Old 10-22-2010, 10:22 PM   #1
90sShooter
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default CO2 leak from you know what

I am having the worst luck with this system I picked up used from a local guy of Craigslist. First keg filled and hooked up emptied a tank in under a week. Turns out I forgot the gasket. 2nd tank lasted 2 weeks. Turned out the regulator was not on tight enough. So this time the guys at the shop put the gasket in and tightened the regulator like his life depended on it. To make sure there were no leaks, I submersed the top of the tank including regulator in water for several minutes and no bubbles. This time the tank lasted maybe 3 weeks and approximately a 5g keg and part of a half barrel. What is going on here?! Do I have a leak in the line? It is the standard vinyl or rubber tubing and looks good. Also secured at both ends by clamps. Is it possible my couplings have a leak? This is really wearing me down and now I'm $40 in to CO2 and have only gone thru 2 5g kegs and maybe a quarter of a half barrel. Please help before I waste more money. Thanks guys!

Old 10-22-2010, 11:10 PM   #2
j1laskey
Recipes 

Liked 196 Times on 156 Posts
Likes Given: 13

When I first set up my system I thought I was air tight at all hose connections...but are you quick disconnects tight??? I found my leaks there....good luck, it can be a real hassle

The Secretion Brewery

Let's think it over and stop making sense

Old 10-22-2010, 11:21 PM   #3
buzzkill
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 15

take a deep breath,drink a good brew, and soap that **** down to find the leak(leaks). one day soon you will LOL about this. dont dunk your reg. hit it with a spray bottle filled with soapy water.

Old 10-22-2010, 11:33 PM   #4
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 249 Times on 194 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Also, if you don't see bubbles with the soapy water, put your ear next to the connection. Once the liquid is on there, you can actually hear the leak sometimes.
Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Old 10-22-2010, 11:49 PM   #5
strat_thru_marshall
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 32

+1 to spray bottle and soapy water/starsan. You'll find the leak if you soak every connection point and seal point.

Old 10-23-2010, 05:01 AM   #6
90sShooter
Recipes 

Thanks guys. I will get the tank filled tomorrow and get out the chewing gum.

Old 10-23-2010, 01:19 PM   #7
Thirteen
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Assuming you get the bottle filled at a welding supply pick up a bottle of leak detect compound, such as that made by Contesco, while you're there. It will do a much better job at finding leaks than soapy water.