Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Air tool regulator - can this be used?

Old 01-22-2007, 01:28 PM   #1
Rhino17
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Default Air tool regulator - can this be used?

Hi all,

I currently have my keg set up with 1 dual guage regulator from the tank, and then branched off to 6 lines inside the fridge to supply pressure to all of the kegs.

Since I usually make ales, all requiring about the same level of carbonation (my preference), this cheap set up works very well for me.

However, I have some friends who have requested a dry stout, and like a good little brewer, I have obliged. But I don't want to serve it at the same pressure.

Do you think an air tool regulator like in the link below could be added in-line to step down the 13 psi to around 5 for my dry stout? I just can't justify purchasing a secondary regulator at this time, and this would be a cheap solution.

http://www.sjdiscounttools.com/mtn6182.html

Any thoughts?

Rhino

Old 01-22-2007, 01:33 PM   #2
Orfy
For the love of beer!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 88 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 30

I have never given it a though. Mainly because if you get gas and regulators wrong then it can be lethal.

Old 01-22-2007, 02:04 PM   #3
Flyin' Lion

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 8 Posts

I'd definitely research this more, but this sounds like a good, cheap alternative to the expensive dual gauge setups.

Hope it works out for ya.

Old 01-22-2007, 02:54 PM   #4
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 142 Times on 134 Posts

I think it would be worth trying, but as a secondary only. My main concern is gas volume, an air tool regulator is intended to run at cubic feet per minute rates, but a CO2 setup's requirement is more like pints per hour.

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 01-22-2007, 03:04 PM   #5
rdwj

Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 24 Posts

ya, for a secondary, that seems like a great option!

Old 01-22-2007, 04:41 PM   #6
lustreking
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Some air tool regulators will work, but there are basically a valve that just regulate air flow rather than pressure. These inexpensive ones won't work for our purposes. I can't really tell for sure, but from the picture of the one you linked, I don't think it will work. If there isn't constant flow of air, the pressure will build up to be the same on both sides.

I bought 4 of these when they were recently on sale for $4.99. They are the least expensive air tool regulator that will work for pushing beer. I haven't used them yet, because I need new gauges (see note below).

Another thing to keep in mind about any air tool regulator. You will need to get a new gauge for it. The ones that come with them generally go up to 150-200 psi. They don't have the resolution to work in the area (generally under 15psi) that we want.

I have found some good deals for gauges on ebay. I should be able to get them for a little less than $5 each.

-S