Barley Crusher vs. Monster Malt Mill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eager_brewer

Face down on the floor
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Everyone, I am going to buy my own grain miller and I am stuck between the Barley Crusher and the Monster Malt miller. I am leaning in the direction of the barley crusher because it has a larger hopper and it is about 30 bucks cheaper. I already have a drill so that is not a concern. Any thoughts are welcomed.

Tom

I bought my monster mill and built a housing that fits into the 5 gallon bucket I crush into.

If you have the need or want to build the housing and hopper, go for the monster. if you want to pull the mill out of the box and crush grain, buy the crusher.

Ymmv.
B

The Monster Mill roller shafts are integral and I prefer the design for that reason. Other than that, there's not a lot of difference in the designs that I can see for the comparable models (ie 2 roller vs 2 roller etc.). There seem to be more reports of problems with the BC, but I think there are more of them in use, so that may not be of much concern. Generally speaking, I don't think you can go wrong no matter which malt mill you buy, so it really comes down to the pricing.

Barley Crusher +1

Great mill backed by great customer service. Before I motorized it I was using a drill and accidentally dropped it, bending the shaft. Called them to see how much a replacement would cost - he said to just send it it and he would fix it free of charge. Crushingly good service (sorry).

I've only had my Barley Crusher for about four months but have zero complaints. I use a cheapo Harbor Freight drill to motorize it (that will probably die loooong before the mill) and have had good results thus far. Since I have no experience with the Monster products I can't speak for them but it seems most that have them are pleased with them as well.

Awesome. I think I am going to go with the barley crusher as I want to use it right out of the box. I don't want to have to build a hopper or anything like that. Thanks all! After using it for a year or 2 I can take it apart to clean. I have to clean everything else right? Why not my miller as well. :)

I looked at the crankandstien and here is the problem with that, I am not mechanically inclined unless it is a computer, router or firewall you need fixed I can handle it. However building the components around a crankandstien forget it. :)

I looked at the crankandstien and here is the problem with that, I am not mechanically inclined unless it is a computer, router or firewall you need fixed I can handle it. However building the components around a crankandstien forget it. :)

Building what? You can buy it ready to go with the optional hopper and base.

Awesome. I think I am going to go with the barley crusher as I want to use it right out of the box. I don't want to have to build a hopper or anything like that. Thanks all! After using it for a year or 2 I can take it apart to clean. I have to clean everything else right? Why not my miller as well. :)

That's exactly why I bought the BC over the other ones. However I am somewhat underwhelmed by the BC's quality of build. I don't use it as much as some, so I am sure it's going to last a long time but if I was crushing grains weekly I think I'd be unhappy with how much effort I have to put into keeping it running smoothly. Something simple like butterfly nuts or thumbscrews so you take it apart quicker to adjust the gap would have been nice, or for cleaning/lubing.

Monster Mill now has an optional hopper/base you can buy. I bought the hopper cause I was being lazy. I can say without a doubt that the MM is really awesome. It seemed in all my searches that MM's had fewer problems with them than the others. Just my 2 cents.

hose are the ones I have. I do 10 gallon batches every other weekend. I've already put several hundred lbs of grain thru it. The crankandstien is very sturdy. It could easily last a lifetime.

Adding to this the Crankandstien is manufactured by a machinest, Don knows his product, QUALITY CONTROL and materials used in it. Support is great also plus Don's a great person who will answers all questions. Sadly I purchased a different brand by name mill before talking with Crankandstien.

Adding to this the Crankandstien is manufactured by a machinest, Don knows his product, QUALITY CONTROL and materials used in it. Support is great also plus Don's a great person who will answers all questions. Sadly I purchased a different brand by name mill before talking with Crankandstien.

I also talked to Don, went to his shop and bought it directly from him while I was in Atlanta. Great support, and answered any and all questions.

I got the large 3 roller mill, model # 328D, I can crush 20lbs of grain in just over a minute!

I am assuming the standard settings should be fine. Forgive my ignorance I just want to make the right purchase.

It all depends on your system. The factory setting is .045 for the 2S mill. I mash in a cooler, batch sparge with a SS braid. I have my mill set pretty tight at .032". The tighter you set it the finer the crush. Finer crush give a higher efficiency but becomes harder to lauter.

Setting the gap on the 2S is not the easiest. If you have decent tool skills it's really not very hard but it sounds like your skills are suspect. The 2A and 2D appear to be easier to adjust.

Back