Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Botteling help

Old 08-22-2005, 06:06 PM   #1
fishfool
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Botteling help

Let me start out by saying that I am very new to homebrewing, so much so that I am using a Mr. Beer "dump in and mix" kit, I do have a "real" ale pale on the way though. Anywho I have my first batch in the fermenter and it will need to be bottled soon, I have 8 plastic screw top bottles with lids. Whats with adding the sugar, I mean what does it do and how much do I add? Also how long do I let the bottles sit before I throw the in the fridge and then drink them? I also have a really good home brew book (the name escapes me but it is what everyone told me to get.) Thanks for all the help
Fishfool

Old 08-22-2005, 06:24 PM   #2
Driftwood
Recipes 

go to http://www.howtobrew.com/intro.html , you'll find all the info there... good luck and welcome...
Secondary - Nothing, man I should really brew something...
Bottles - Just yeast, drank all the beer :(
Keg 1 - Sleeman Steam Beer clone
Keg 2 - India Pale Ale

2 Keg system is now operational!! :D Draft beer on tap at Chez Driftwood!! (Just in time for hockey :D)

Old 08-22-2005, 06:35 PM   #3
loopmd

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

You add the sugar so that you will have carbonated beer. It's called "bottle conditioning." After you add the beer to the bottles, let it set for 1-2 weeks in a cool, dark environment. After that you should be good to chill and enjoy.