Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brew Science > Anyone take the IBD GCB?

Old 12-30-2010, 03:33 PM   #11
jitteringjr
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Good luck with it in the spring. I didn't study any of the environmental stuff and I though that was going to cost me. At least you will know better what to expect for the next one.

Old 05-25-2012, 07:08 AM   #12
SnowBird
Recipes 

I hope you are still using homebrewtalk... I have searched through the IBD website and have only found a syllabus and not a guide that you suggested we study from. Where did you get your guide? Thanks!

Old 05-27-2012, 03:45 AM   #13
jitteringjr
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

When I became an IBD member and signed up for the exams, they sent a zip folder of study material. I copied a coworkers material from the year before and the syllabus had changed and it nearly cost me the exam. I wouldn't get the material from anywhere but the IBD and make sure it's the current stuff.

Old 06-15-2012, 07:37 AM   #14
bb239605
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

jitteringjr, I assumed you passed the GCB, did you ever move on to take the Diploma in Brewing test?

I just sat all three modules of the diploma test these past three days (June 12th -14th) and was wondering: How tough are they are on grading and what type of time frame is there on test grading and getting results back? I feel like I did fairly well, and am fully expecting to pass, but it always feels nice to know fur sure.

Also, are you here in the U.S.A.? Have you ever used the IBD for anything else besides the exams (such as job opportunities, networking, etc)? Assuming I pass, and being that I had to sign up for a membership to sit the exam, I would like to squeeze some other benefits out of them as well.

Old 06-16-2012, 06:05 PM   #15
jitteringjr
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I sent you a PM bb.

Old 10-11-2012, 11:36 AM   #16
yorkbrewer
Recipes 

bb that's quite hardcore - all three diploma parts in one sitting! I've been advised to take one a year! I'm taking the GCB this November, been reading the matierial sent from the IBD and making notes, but would like some exam practice beyond the four questions they allow on their website. It's a shame that practice exams don't really seem to be available. Perhaps it's the same exam every time :P

Old 10-15-2013, 06:22 AM   #17
mrbeerin
Recipes 

Im planning to give the gcb this nov.. Yeah even i couldn't find any practice exams online.. Giving it a shot jus by the notes provided by them..
@yorkbrewer how was your exam.. Any suggestions o. How to go about it?

Old 10-15-2013, 09:54 PM   #18
biertourist
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 115 Times on 86 Posts
Likes Given: 42

I took the GCB exam spring 2011 @ Guinness/Diageo in Dublin (cool place to take it, for sure!) - chilled and filtered version; not the cask ale version.

The syllabus and the PDFs that they give you wen you register for the exam can get you there.

Read through them each once really slowly in "memorization mode", then a few weeks before the exam pull out the syllabus and determine whether you can answer the objectives off of the top of your head; mark off the ones that you can easily answer and then go back to the individual PDFs for the items that you can't recall (probably most of them if you're anything like me); as you do this make flash cards for answering the objectives. -Then the day before the exam just study the flash cards (I took the day before off of work.).

Good luck!
Adam

Old 10-16-2013, 05:58 PM   #19
biertourist
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 115 Times on 86 Posts
Likes Given: 42

As other's have said you get the materials emailed to you after you register for the exam so just register early and then you buy yourself a few extra weeks/ months to study.

I pretty much refused to relearn how to do all the calculations (I was already doing most of the calculations using US units and I wasn't about to switch to the UK mega brewery units and confuse myself forever); this definition hurt my score. As others have said the calculations are SUPER important to memorize. (I could have gotten a distinction had I just learned their forumulas.)

-Having said all of that, you can still do the calculations your own way and even ESTIMATE the answers if you understand what's going on and this will eliminate 2 answers for each calculation question that are WAY off; then you basically have a 50/50 shot at getting it right.

Understand dilutions and dilution formulas for sure.

It's really really cool to get more of the mega-brewery perspective AND a bit more of the UK brewing tradition perspective by going through the IBD materials. I DO wish that they'd update the material to be more internationally relevant and relevant at the micro brewery level AND I REALLY wish that they'd make the whole thing far more practical -if they'd show REAL equipment vs. just crappy MSPaint-quality drawings of equipment it would make it much more practical.

Adam

Old 10-17-2013, 07:01 AM   #20
mrbeerin
Recipes 

Thanks biertourist!! This really helps .. Even im going in for the c&f exam.. Gotten the notes.. Read them once.. Gonna follow your method of going thru the syllabus and try to answer them .. Thanks again!!