What's your favorite IPA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jar234psu

Reaction score
IPA roll call! :mug: List your faves here, and tell us what you like about them!

Mine: I live in Durham, North Carolina and we have a small brewpub (Carolina Brewing Company). I love their "Flagship IPA." It has a wonderful floral aroma and a citrusy punch that leaves the slightest hint of grapefruit on your palate. I'd drink this stuff by the gallon if SWMBO let me. I can't really find a mass-produced commercial example that compares.

I dig Foot Hills' Hoppyum and Mother Earth's Sisters of the Moon since you're talking NC brews.

As far as other stuff, been drinking a lot of Racer 5 lately. Also just tried Modus Hoperandi for the first time and it was delicious.

I dig Foot Hills' Hoppyum and Mother Earth's Sisters of the Moon since you're talking NC brews.

As far as other stuff, been drinking a lot of Racer 5 lately. Also just tried Modus Hoperandi for the first time and it was delicious.

Very cool - I haven't tried modus hoperandi. I assume that can be found in NC? I love foothill's brews, but unfortunately, from what I understand you can only get it in kegs. Cheers:tank:

I think "flagship" is from Carolina Brewery in Chapel Hill... not to be confused with Carolina Brewing Company in Holly Springs or Carolina Beer Company in Charlotte. ;)

I can't say that I've ever had anything from Carolina Brewery.

I think "flagship" is from Carolina Brewery in Chapel Hill... not to be confused with Carolina Brewing Company in Holly Springs or Carolina Beer Company in Charlotte. ;)

I can't say that I've ever had anything from Carolina Brewery.

Ah, quite right. Gotta give credit where its due.

dogfishhead 90 min.
Bells two hearted ale.

two different IPA's
DFH 90 is full and malty and two hearted is a bit lighter and full of centenial hops...Yum to both of them

Enjoying a Bells Two Hearted(if that counts) with lunch, as I type. O'fallon Brewery makes a great 5 Day IPA, and they are local to me. Otherwise I really like Lagunitas IPA, Racer 5 is good also. Honestly the Amarillo/Simcoe batch I made recently, really spoiled my tastebuds!! I've been having a hard time finding something I like better!

Pliny the Elder
Lagunitas Hop Stoopid
Dogfish 90
Ballast Point Sculpin
Avery Maharaja
Bear Republic Racer 5
Green Flash West Coast IPA

I buy one or more of these every time I go to the beer store.

Enjoying a Bells Two Hearted(if that counts) with lunch, as I type. O'fallon Brewery makes a great 5 Day IPA, and they are local to me. Otherwise I really like Lagunitas IPA, Racer 5 is good also. Honestly the Amarillo/Simcoe batch I made recently, really spoiled my tastebuds!! I've been having a hard time finding something I like better!

Same here. I have an IPA on tap right now dry hopped with Amarillo/Simcoe and I find I prefer that to most of the commercial examples I can find locally.

That said, SN Torpedo is one of my go-to's lately. And I just had DFH 90 minute for the first time, excellent beer.

IPA roll call! :mug: List your faves here, and tell us what you like about them!

Mine: I live in Durham, North Carolina and we have a small brewpub (Carolina Brewing Company). I love their "Flagship IPA." It has a wonderful floral aroma and a citrusy punch that leaves the slightest hint of grapefruit on your palate. I'd drink this stuff by the gallon if SWMBO let me. I can't really find a mass-produced commercial example that compares.

Hi fellow Durhamite (is that what we're called?) Anyway I wasn't crazy about the flagship IPA when I tried it. The bitterness was there but the hop flavor and aroma seemed a bit lacking.

You're in luck though because in a couple short weeks, Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale will show up, which is a great IPA and also just happens to be one of my favorite beers.

SNCA is a well-balanced, subtle, yet very flavorful IPA. My other favorite is a bit over the top but is very good too. Bell's Hopslam. It is only available for a short period, hard to find, and expensive, but when you pop the cap and that Simcoe smacks you in the face, it will have been worth it.

I've never really like the SN forays into IPAs, but i'm willing to give the celebration ale a try. I cant wait to try the all-amarillo IPA recipe from HBT.

I'm looking forward to trying Bell's Hopslam. When does that come out? I've never had it. I'm ready to also try the Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale for the 1st time too!

I'm looking forward to trying Bell's Hopslam. When does that come out? I've never had it. I'm ready to also try the Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale for the 1st time too!

Hopslam gets released in January, but you've gotta be quick to pick some up. It usually sells out around here within a day or two of showing up.

O'Dell's
Two Hearted (although can't get it here in Denver)
Modus Hoperandi
Hopworks (again, can't get it in Denver, but every time I go to OR, gotta have it)

Great Divide - Hercules
Speakeasy - Big Daddy

I like IPA's with a strong malt backbone. I haven't seen Big Daddy around much lately and heard rumors that Speakeasy is going under. Anyone know if this is true?

21A hop crisis. big ipa but really balanced. silver at GABF this year too.

haven't heard anything from speakeasy, as far as I know they're still going strong. something woulda been in the local news if it was tanking.

edit: prohibitions still available on tap pretty much everywhere in SF, and safeway still has six packs so idk...

21A hop crisis. big ipa but really balanced. silver at GABF this year too.

haven't heard anything from speakeasy, as far as I know they're still going strong. something woulda been in the local news if it was tanking.

edit: prohibitions still available on tap pretty much everywhere in SF, and safeway still has six packs so idk...
must have something to do with distributing to other states

I like a good so much I registered just to post this! Hopslam is the winner for me. Last year a local bar had it on tap. $6.50 for a glass and well worth it. The sweetness seems to cling to the oils left behind on the lips from the fried bar food, good stuff. DFH 60 minute is also great. Prefer it to the 90 and 120 minute versions.

P.S. going to brew my first homebrew on Thursday

You're in luck though because in a couple short weeks, Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale will show up, which is a great IPA and also just happens to be one of my favorite beers.

Same here. It was released at the brewery on 10/15 and should be out to the National Market by the end of October. Why do I like it? It's just darn good (IMHO) - do I need another reason? :D

I also like Stone, DFH 90 and Burton Baton, Bells Two Hearted, and WestCoast. Bells just became available here in the SW this year so I'll have to see if I can get some of the HopSlam.

Long Trail DIPA
Smuttynose Big A IPA
Harpoon Leviathan IPA

If you kidnapped me, put a gun to my head, and said I could only have one beer for the rest of my days.. Probably Smuttynose IPA. (the others would knock me down after drinking a dozen. ;))

Why you always copying me?!? :cross:

Hey man, I just love Sweetwater. But if anyone should be copied on here it should be you with the stuff you do over there. :rockin: when you're done you are more than welcome to come down to Lake Park and spend some of that money burning a hole in your pocket in my backyard. :mug:

I love Two-hearted, but I've been switching back and forth with Humalupalicious for the last year. I'm getting tired of Short's though, because of the stupid-ass novelty beers that they keep coming out with. :(

Also, Hopslam would be my favorite if it was more affordable. Two-hearted wins because it's available year round, and is half the price. The local beer store had a ton of Hopslam in stock for almost four months though.

I still want to try Pliny. Can't get it here.

Edit: Oh yeah, and I just remembered that I love Ruination.

That is all.

I am a big fan of Lawson's finest Chinookered IPA in Warren, VT.

when i am home and not feeling adventurous i usually go for a Stone.

Back